Is Core license included in a Service Desk license and also in a Software license

Niklas Sinander October 13, 2017

Hi,

We considering licensing JIRA Core, Software and Service desk as self hosted and need to understand the licensing model before moving forward.

We are considering two scenarios:

a) 100 Service Desk users and 600 Core users.

For this I understand that it would be enough to purchase 100 Service Desk and 500 Core licenses.

b) 100 Service Desk, 500 Software and 600 Core users.

Would it be enough to purchase 100 Service Desk and 500 Software licenses for this scenario?

I.e is the a Core license included in a Service Desk license and also in a Software license?

3 answers

3 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 13, 2017

Each application is licenced separately and independently, but the Software and Service Desk applications sit on top of Core.  You don't need to buy licences for Core for the Software users or the Service Desk users, you can think of them as being "built in". If I understand your numbers right, you don't have any "core only" users, so you'd only need to buy 100 Service Desk and 500 Software licences.

Most Software installations I've seen only have X Software licences and no core.

Also, be aware if you buy this, 100 + 500, then any add-ons you want will need to be bought for 500 users as that's the largest application you have (it doesn't add up users, just looks at the largest)

0 votes
Niklas Sinander October 16, 2017

Thanks for your answers.

I was maybe a little unclear. We are 600 persons in total in my company and each of them should have a Core license. In addition we are considering licenses for Service Desk and Software. 

So in scenario a) we have 600 users with Core and 100 users would in addition have Service Desk, i,e 500 users with only Core and 100 users with both Core and Service Desk

In scenario b) we have 100 users with both Core and Service Desk and 500 users with Core and Software.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 16, 2017

As I said before, you don't need to buy licences for Core for the Software users or the Service Desk users, you can think of them as being "built in".

So you should get 100 Service Desk and 500 Software licences to cover your case.

Niklas Sinander October 17, 2017

Thanks Nic

0 votes
Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 13, 2017

Hi Niklas,

Your service desk agent licenses would also need a core user license.  So I think you need to purchase a 600 user license and then purchase your 500 user software license and your 100 service desk agent license.

Cheers,

Susan

Lars Olav Velle
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 13, 2017

Please explain "So I think you need to purchase a 600 user license"

Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 13, 2017

You need to buy core licenses and then you buy software and service desk on top of that.  If your software users are different from your agents then you need core licenses for them all.  If they overlap, then you might not need 600.

Suggest an answer