Is Celebration / Notification of Issue Completion Possible?

David Meacock May 18, 2014

Hi,

My team made a good point in our last retrospective, in that if they're working away from each other (for circumstances outside their control) they often don't know when issues get completed unless they look at the JIRA rapid board. While I pointed out that looking at a wall is a good habit, I did take the feedback that if there was a way to notify people that something has been completed (i.e. a celebration sound or a popup) it would be a good trigger to looking at the board and seeing what has changed.

Does anyone know if there is functionality, or a plugin, that accomplishes this? Think of it as a virtual 'gong' to strike when we want to celebrate something being done!

Cheers,

Dave.

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 18, 2014

No, but sort of.

The problem here is not so much doing this, but how you want to implement it. The easy bit is the notification - Jira fires events when things happen, so all you need to do is have a bit of code that catches the relevent events and does <something>

But what that <something> is, is up to you. Jira already has a basic "send an email" on events, so you could write a system that catches and reacts to the emails. Or find/write a listener that pokes something into a chat system (e.g. hipchat). Or write a listener that pokes a computer embedded in a dinosaur toy to make it's eyes flash (I've done this, which is why I used the odd example). And so on. It depends entirely on what you want the notification to end up in.

David Meacock May 18, 2014

That sounds like the kind of challenge I might enjoy. Are there any tutorials or examples of implementing such a listener in a plugin that I might be able to refer to?

FWIW the flashing dinosaur doesn't seem too odd to me, but then again I once worked at a place where an actual traffic light was used as a build light, and a stupidly loud speaker to blare out the theme tune to Bob the Builder...

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 18, 2014

The place with the dinosaur was a really simple one which used email - we had an old desktop PC which was used for a basic wallboard. Added a simple pop3 mailbox to it, with a notification scheme which sent email to it. Every email that arrived ran a script which sent power down the serial port connector which just happened to be connected to a couple of LEDs that just happened to inside a stuffed dinosaur.

If I were to do a similar thing today, I'd probably reach for a Raspberry Pi, as you coud fit the whole thing inside the dinosaur, and use it as a media centre as well :-) Making a Pi's outputs hit LEDs is probably even more simple than persuading a PC to light up some serial pins.

Suggest an answer