Is Attach Screenshot capability removed in JIRA?

Paul Alexander
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 25, 2015

Some of my BA's reported to me today that this capability is missing from the "More" menu on a JIRA issue. It does appear to be gone, but I don't see any updates to this documentation page. I've suggested to them that they capture a screenshot through other means and hit CTRL-v in the Description field to paste it (which also yields an attached image). We're on Windows using Chrome or IE11.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Attaching+a+Screenshot 

I can attach files; it is the attach screenshot option that is missing.

1 answer

1 accepted

8 votes
Answer accepted
Rodrigo Rosa
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 25, 2015

Hi Paul,

This is actually a new feature that was just released for JIRA Cloud. Here's the steps to attach an screenshot to an issue:

1. Attaching a Screenshot via File picker:
1.1 More
1.2 Attach File
1.3 Select save image

2. Attaching Screenshot from clipboard:
2.1 Take Screenshot in clipboard:
2.1.1 MAC: *Control + Command + Shift* (*3* or *4*) to take screenshot
2.1.2 Windows: *Print Screen* or *ALT + Print Screen* to take screenshot
2.2 Use paste directly on issue view screen (you just need to open the issue):
2.2.1 MAC: Command + V
2.2.2 Windows: CTRL + V

This is intended to reduce the number of steps necessary to attach screenshots to a page. Here's a documentation on [Attaching Screenshot|https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRACLOUD/Attaching+a+Screenshot].

Paul Alexander
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 25, 2015

Excellent. I also see that anywhere the field, Attachment, is present, that is also a valid drop target for the clipboard. Really nice. Sorry I missed this.

Steve Behnke [DiscoverEquip.com]
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 25, 2015

Wow, I love it! There needs to be some feature discover tool tips here though, how are we to know we can paste stuff?

Judy Fearn August 26, 2015

This only seems to work if you have the ticket open. I was unable to paste a screenshot from the Create Ticket, Edit Ticket, or anywhere from the scrum board.

Judy Fearn August 26, 2015

Also, at the time of this comment, the link to the KB article about Java 7 and Chrome is a bad link.

Paul Alexander
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 26, 2015

@Judy - I think we all would love the ability to drop the clipboard onto the detail panel of the open issue on the scrum board. Indeed not yet supported. Good call.

Joanne Blake September 2, 2015

This feature was working again Monday and yesterday morning -- but seems to have reverted again. Can you please fix this?

Chuck Norris November 30, 2015

@Rodrigo Sogari [Atlassian] that's completely not discoverable. It's great that you can paste from the issue description, but there's no way to know that without RTFM. Add a tooltip or something.

Alan Farkas January 5, 2016

I agree. Nice functionality, but it's not very intuitive without some caption/label indicating that you can just do a Ctrl-V to paste the image in.

Dave Todaro January 11, 2016

There is no way my team members will realize they can do this. Please add the menu back.

priory_rory February 7, 2016

@Rodrigo Sogari [Atlassian] - I agree with the others, pasting from clipboard is not discoverable as-is. Especially since it works when you've opened the issue but doesn't work from the Agile Board. The workflow when using Agile Boards is now more clunky than it was if you want to paste from the clipboard.

Matti Popesku February 25, 2016

I tested this feature but unfortunately I have performed several times ctrl+v until the insert dialog opens. Has anybody the same behavior?

janmeinicke March 6, 2016

please can u restore it for self hostet JIRA version? that not really customer friendly....

Ray Maxwell March 30, 2016

Poor implementation of a new feature.

Not only is it not documented in the updates but.  You now have to click to open an issue in a scrum board before you can add an attachment.  Before all you had to do was use the short cut key "." then attach screen shot, or use the dropdown in the sprint board.  This feature is a step backwards and has confused my customers so much I may have to stay with 6.4.11 until you get it fixed. 

Ray Maxwell March 30, 2016

Spoke to soon but this is a prime example of changing GUI without letting customers know.

If you use the "." and choose Attach file.  You can then paste a screenshot.  It would be helpful if the screen for attach file says something about screenshots also.

Jamie Wardlaw April 1, 2016

We have just upgraded to 7.1.2 and discovered the attach screenshot is removed. I have tried repeatedly in Firefox and Chrome to execute the 'improved procedure' and it simply does not work. Dragging files to the issue screen also does not attach them - with the PDF's they just open in the browser.

There is no way this is better than what we had before, i'm surprised Atlassian let this one slip through.

Please fix and re-enable the menu options. By all means keep your alleged 'improvement' there as well but for lots of us it simply does not work.

rjmille5 May 31, 2016

This was not a good idea.  Completely non-obvious.  I had to do a Google search to find this page to learn how to do it.  Why couldn't you just leave "Attach a screenshot" in?

Daniel Brown June 19, 2016

This feature used to work for me but today it does not. What would stop this functionality from working?

Ctrl+V to attach a snipping tool screen shot has to work... it just has to!

Mick Bourke June 19, 2016

I have the same experience as Daniel. This feature used to work, but is not working today. Can someone please investigate.

Andy Weaver June 20, 2016

We are also having the same issue as Daniel.  Our entire team is reporting that they can no longer paste images from the clipboard.  I have tried it myself in every browser and nothing works.  I hope this can be resolved quickly.

François RL June 20, 2016

Also not working for me since a couple of days. Hope this would be solved fast. 

Andy Weaver June 20, 2016

They have a fix and are going to release it on the next maintenance window.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-61502

Suggest an answer