Is Atlassian onDemand architecture multi tenant or single tenant?

Dheeraj Kumar Aggarwal July 11, 2013

I am just curious on how atlassian is providing its ondemand services and their internal architecture behind onDemand.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Michael Knight
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 14, 2013

OnDemand is partially multi-tenant (we have a a few shared services, e.g. the login system) but is mostly still single-tenant. Each customer has an OpenVZ container that has a database and multiple Tomcats running within (one per application).

You can view the slides from this Atlassian Summit presentation for more information. The info here is a bit dated but the funamentals remain the same.

We are working on 'multi-tenantising' more parts of the OnDemand offering, but (as I'm sure you can appreciate) this is a slow process.

Dheeraj Kumar Aggarwal July 14, 2013

Thanks a lot michael for clarifying.

1 vote
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 12, 2013
Dheeraj Kumar Aggarwal July 12, 2013

Hi Norman, Thanks for replying. I have already seen that link. But one more link, from which I get confused because earlier atlassian was telling the benifits of single tenant over the multi tenant model. And I have read in the following link that they have used single tenant model for JIRA studio.

http://blogs.atlassian.com/2009/04/when_it_comes_t/

Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 13, 2013

Jira Studio was an earlier attempt at SasS. They have shutdown that website as noted below.

https://developer.atlassian.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=16974434

Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 14, 2013

I don't exactly see how it's multi-tenant, technically speaking. It's still an instance per organization etc. There are multiple Tomcat instances (in fact per Atlassian software and can't even be combined). It's multiple single-tenant software.

Though as long as things work...

0 votes
Diogo_Barbosa June 27, 2018

And how does atlassian suggest that a company using JSD use it to manage Multiple SAAS customers? I mean if is there any tips, paths, suggestions about desigining a solution to manage the release lifecycle, the planning, from the start to the end.

For example, suppose that in the company i work i have 70 customers in the cloud, when i need to release, i choose a group of some of then to release that package, generally based on priorities of ISSUES that are going to be solved. On the next day i need to keep going forward with the other customers, and on and on.

How does atlassian manage this kind of cenario? I ask that knowing that if i had a bit more freedom to change JSD (my company didn't give me, yet) i could make some forms to make a bit easier the overview and manage of customers versions. Anyways, consider that i can have that in a near future.

Thanks! Sorry if i didn't make myself clear enough.

Suggest an answer