Invisible "Required" Custom Fields blocking issue progression

Adam Grace January 8, 2013

Hello,

I've created a custom workflow and a bunch of custom screens for Database Update workflow.

It'll be associated to just one project, while the standard workflow/screens/fields etc. will be for all normal projects.

The issue I'm having is that towards the end of my workflow, there's a release to QA that has a required field (called "Change Log") that requires the producer who's releasing the ticket to QA to enter in what's changed.

Now the issue is, this "required" field, that only appears on this particular screen, keeps blocking other points in the workflow because it's not filled out, even though it's not visible on other screens. i.e. I'll create a new Db Change Request, and fill out the Summary, Description, Priority, Due Date and Assignee and hit Create, it'll then block me with the following error;

"Change Log: Change Log is required."

If I make the Change Log "optional" this issue doesn't occur. Where have I gone wrong?

Thanks,

Adam

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 8, 2013

You haven't gone wrong.

Jira has a very simple approach to mandatory fields. They are either mandatory and have to be filled all the time, or they are optional. Screens and workflows are utterly irrelevant to this process.

What you need to do is find or write a plugin that implements a "validator" for "this field must be filled in". Make the field optional in the field configuration scheme (as you've already said) and then add the validtor to the transitions where you actually need the users to be forced to fill it in and you're sorted.

(Frankly though, although I've said "find or write", I wouldn't really bother writing. There's dozens of implementations of this in the marketplace as part of other plugins. I use the Jira Suite Utilities one mostly, but there are plenty more if you don't want to use that particular plugin)

I can't install plugins that aren't part of JIRA OnDemand though.. sigh.

There's nothing I can really do other than make it optional and beat those who don't fill it in then I guess.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 8, 2013

Ah, you didn't say OnDemand, or I'd have mentioned that.

However, OnDemand DOES have the Jira Suite Utilities installed, so you should be able to add your validator right away!

Perfect. Sorted now.

Thanks a bunch Nic!

Suggest an answer