Investigation how JIRA Confluence macros affect JIRA performance

shadrinmaxim May 5, 2014

We have Jira Performance Issue.
Jira is slow and gets Out of Memory. I assume that the main cause of this can be a huge Confluence Macro (Jira Issues Macro) that our managers use in Confluence.
Can it depends of the big amount of Confluence macros?
If yes, can you recommend me some ideas how to fix it?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Bruna Griebeler
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 5, 2014

Hi Maxim,

Since you're experiencing Out of Memory in Jira, I strongly recommend you to increase the available JVM_MINIMUM_MEMORY and JVM_MAXIMUM_MEMORY for your Jira Instance following this instructions.

However, to make sure that teh Confluence macros are causing this, I recommend you to enable Login and Profilling in Jira, so you have more details on the logs during the OutofMemory.

0 votes
SriniC February 20, 2015

Hi Maxim,

We had this problem earlier... which authentication mode have you turned on in the JIRA/Confluence App Link? Try having only Trusted Apps mode and disable OAuth and see if it helps.

You can see all Confluence connections in the JIRA Access logs (install_dir/logs) and you can grep for the Confluence IP Address and see how many such entries there prior to and after you disable OAuth mode.

JIRA Issues Macro does would be fine with just Trusted Apps mode. But you would need OAuth to enable the Structure macro (if you use the Structure plugin in Jira) in Confluence.

Saikat Maiti January 24, 2019

Hey Srini, 

Will you be able to help with our Jira implementation? Call me at 2532051709

0 votes
shadrinmaxim May 11, 2014
Hi Bruna, Great thanks for you suggestions. Let me enable "Login and Profilling" in our Jira

Suggest an answer