Investigation how JIRA Confluence macros affect JIRA performance

We have Jira Performance Issue.
Jira is slow and gets Out of Memory. I assume that the main cause of this can be a huge Confluence Macro (Jira Issues Macro) that our managers use in Confluence.
Can it depends of the big amount of Confluence macros?
If yes, can you recommend me some ideas how to fix it?

3 answers

1 accepted

Hi Maxim,

Since you're experiencing Out of Memory in Jira, I strongly recommend you to increase the available JVM_MINIMUM_MEMORY and JVM_MAXIMUM_MEMORY for your Jira Instance following this instructions.

However, to make sure that teh Confluence macros are causing this, I recommend you to enable Login and Profilling in Jira, so you have more details on the logs during the OutofMemory.

Hi Bruna, Great thanks for you suggestions. Let me enable "Login and Profilling" in our Jira

Hi Maxim,

We had this problem earlier... which authentication mode have you turned on in the JIRA/Confluence App Link? Try having only Trusted Apps mode and disable OAuth and see if it helps.

You can see all Confluence connections in the JIRA Access logs (install_dir/logs) and you can grep for the Confluence IP Address and see how many such entries there prior to and after you disable OAuth mode.

JIRA Issues Macro does would be fine with just Trusted Apps mode. But you would need OAuth to enable the Structure macro (if you use the Structure plugin in Jira) in Confluence.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,316 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot