Inventory Plugin for JIRA vs. JIRA for asset management?

Alex Gerulaitis January 14, 2015

What is the difference in functionality, if any, between:

1. Inventory Plugin for JIRA (3rd party "verified" plugin, not free, by Tuncay Senturk), and...
  2. JIRA for asset management, which appears to be a guide on how to set up a JIRA project for the same purpose, and doesn't cost anything beyond JIRA license...

?

Thank you!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 15, 2015

Hi Alex, I think the diffference is whether you prefer customizing it yourself or having a plugin that does this for you. In my case in most cases I rather do it myself because I think I can have more control on the feature.

I've been thinking in this asset management for a long time but I never investigate it and now I'm glad you put this info in the question, I find the guide very promising and I think I'll give it a try. IMHO it's the best choice in this case.

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 15, 2015

Another thing, while there's no reviews or opinions on the Invertory Plugin, at least we know the asset managment worked for Atlassian.

Alex Gerulaitis January 22, 2015

Thank you, much appreciate the answer. (I haven't done any JIRA customization and thus have no clue what effort is involved in customizing a JIRA instance or project to serve as an asset mgmt system.)

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 27, 2015

I can assure you that you will learn a lot about JIRA customization if you complete the asset managment guide ;)

Alex Gerulaitis January 28, 2015

You have a point. :)

Suggest an answer