Internal and external users

Maurizio Dimartino February 24, 2014

I explain the needs I'm trying to configure :

I have one group of developers (the internal group) that is allowed to browse all the issues.

Then I have several customers. Each customer is composed by several external user. Any external user is allowed to browse the issues belongings to his customer.

How can I implement such a configuration?

2 answers

0 votes
Daniel Wester
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 24, 2014

The simplest way would be to have different projects (one for each customer) and use project roles to populate who the external users are for that project.

This is not possible. The risk is that the internal user, allowed to access all the projects and that is in charge to solve the issues, will solve the identical issue t times in case is submitted by t different customers in t different projects.

0 votes
Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 24, 2014

You can do it using the issue security schemes.

Set up Security levels for each customer say Apple, Orange, Mango. and then add members to those security levels who belong to those organisations.

make sure you add your internal group of developers group to all those security levels so they get to see all issues no matter what security level is selected.

These seucirty levels then gets visible as a drop down list on the create issue screen. Once the security level is selected on the members configured in those levels will be able to view those issues.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Issue-level+Security

Rahul

This is not possible : the customer is not aware of security level.

Moreover, in case the external user selects a wrong security level he accesses to different groups of issues.

Moreover, if I leave unassigned the security level at creation time, the external user is allowed to browse all the issues.

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 24, 2014

An external cannot select a wrong security level. An employee of Apple will only see Apple as an option in the drop down, he wont see Orange and Mango in it. So no question of seleting incorrect levels.

For the unassigned problem, i suggest you create a level Internal only and make that a default level, so if someone forgets to enter security level, atmost it only becomes visible to your internal staff.

I am not aware of any other solution other than issue security scheme, so I leave it to others to come up with alternatives.

OK. Final question. The external can select among his security level and the none security level. How can I configure so that the "none" level is not in the list?

Thank you.

Suggest an answer