Intermittent JIRA Server could not be contacted error

Sudhir Regmi June 10, 2015

Please add any details that might help us help you.

some of our users are getting "Jira Server Could not be contacted" error. These are happening intermittently and doesn't belong to specific tasks.They are mostly caused when moving/cloning and assigning tickets to other users. Here's the recent log to better understand the issue.

I have attached some pictures of the issue - The first one is when the user is trying to clone a ticket and assign it to a different user and the second one is when the user was trying to add a label to exisiting ticket.

Any help to understand the root of the issue is appreciated.

Jira Error.jpg

0.png

Log : 
DEBUG: JavaMail version 1.4.5
DEBUG: successfully loaded resource: /META-INF/javamail.default.providers
DEBUG: Tables of loaded providers
DEBUG: Providers Listed By Class Name: {com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPSSLTransport=javax.mail.Provider[TRANSPORT,smtps,com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPSSLTransport,Sun Microsystems, Inc], com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport=javax.mail.Provider[TRANSPORT,smtp,com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport,Sun Microsystems, Inc], com.sun.mail.imap.IMAPSSLStore=javax.mail.Provider[STORE,imaps,com.sun.mail.imap.IMAPSSLStore,Sun Microsystems, Inc], com.sun.mail.pop3.POP3SSLStore=javax.mail.Provider[STORE,pop3s,com.sun.mail.pop3.POP3SSLStore,Sun Microsystems, Inc], com.sun.mail.imap.IMAPStore=javax.mail.Provider[STORE,imap,com.sun.mail.imap.IMAPStore,Sun Microsystems, Inc], com.sun.mail.pop3.POP3Store=javax.mail.Provider[STORE,pop3,com.sun.mail.pop3.POP3Store,Sun Microsystems, Inc]}
DEBUG: Providers Listed By Protocol: {imaps=javax.mail.Provider[STORE,imaps,com.sun.mail.imap.IMAPSSLStore,Sun Microsystems, Inc], imap=javax.mail.Provider[STORE,imap,com.sun.mail.imap.IMAPStore,Sun Microsystems, Inc], smtps=javax.mail.Provider[TRANSPORT,smtps,com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPSSLTransport,Sun Microsystems, Inc], pop3=javax.mail.Provider[STORE,pop3,com.sun.mail.pop3.POP3Store,Sun Microsystems, Inc], pop3s=javax.mail.Provider[STORE,pop3s,com.sun.mail.pop3.POP3SSLStore,Sun Microsystems, Inc], smtp=javax.mail.Provider[TRANSPORT,smtp,com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport,Sun Microsystems, Inc]}
DEBUG: successfully loaded resource: /META-INF/javamail.default.address.map
2015-06-09 04:24:38,749 QuartzWorker-0 ERROR ServiceRunner    Partners 4 Solutions Feedback Service [atlassian.mail.incoming.mailfetcherservice] Partners 4 Solutions Feedback Service[10111]: Error connecting to host 'mail.reisys.com' as user 'p4solutionsfeedback' via protocol 'imaps': javax.mail.MessagingException: Connection refused;
  nested exception is:
        java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused
javax.mail.MessagingException: Connection refused;
  nested exception is:
        java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused
        at com.sun.mail.imap.IMAPStore.protocolConnect(IMAPStore.java:670)
        at javax.mail.Service.connect(Service.java:295)
        at com.atlassian.jira.service.services.mail.MailFetcherService$MessageProviderImpl.getAndProcessMail(MailFetcherService.java:201)
        at com.atlassian.jira.service.services.mail.MailFetcherService.runImpl(MailFetcherService.java:356)
        at com.atlassian.jira.service.services.file.AbstractMessageHandlingService.run(AbstractMessageHandlingService.java:252)
        at com.atlassian.jira.service.JiraServiceContainerImpl.run(JiraServiceContainerImpl.java:61)
        at com.atlassian.jira.service.ServiceRunner.execute(ServiceRunner.java:47)
        at org.quartz.core.JobRunShell.run(JobRunShell.java:195)
        at com.atlassian.multitenant.quartz.MultiTenantThreadPool$MultiTenantRunnable.run(MultiTenantThreadPool.java:72)
        at org.quartz.simpl.SimpleThreadPool$WorkerThread.run(SimpleThreadPool.java:520)
Caused by: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method)
        at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.doConnect(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:339)
        at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:200)
        at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connect(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:182)
        at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(SocksSocketImpl.java:392)
        at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:579)
        at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:528)
        at com.sun.mail.util.SocketFetcher.createSocket(SocketFetcher.java:319)
        at com.sun.mail.util.SocketFetcher.getSocket(SocketFetcher.java:233)
        at com.sun.mail.iap.Protocol.<init>(Protocol.java:113)
        at com.sun.mail.imap.protocol.IMAPProtocol.<init>(IMAPProtocol.java:111)
        at com.sun.mail.imap.IMAPStore.protocolConnect(IMAPStore.java:637)
        ... 9 more

1 answer

0 votes
Matheus Fernandes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 10, 2015

Hi, Sudhir.

I don't think the stack trace you attached has much to do with the problem as that is regarding emails. Perhaps using the Development Tool in Chrome or Firefox may help diagnose this better.

A good test would be to try putting JIRA in safe-mode to ensure this is not being caused by any add-ons. smile

Cheers,
Matheus 

Sudhir Regmi June 15, 2015

Thanks Mattheus, 

I tried the safe mode thing but that doesn't seem to help. Since, this happens intermittently, I had to wait until today to replicate the error on users' machines. The weird part is, this has only been reported by couple of users. As you said, I have asked them to use Development Tool in the browsers and get back to me with the trace logs. 

Do you know if there is any other log file I can provide that helps figure out the problem? 

Sudhir

Matheus Fernandes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 15, 2015

There may be something in the atlassian-jira.log or catalina.out (or stdout-******.log in Windows) if this is being caused by another error. This is most likely though a client side problem, so the development tools would be the best place I think. :)

Suggest an answer