Interfacing Into JIRA Cloud System

Matthew Chambers June 16, 2015

Hello All - 

I believe i already know the answer to this, but I wanted to ask if it's possible in anyway to actively interface into a JIRA Cloud system from an external 3rd-party ticket system (not an import, but an interface)?

Our requirement is that we are a consulting company that supports multiple clients & use our own On-Demand JIRA Cloud instance.  However, many of our clients use their own ticketing systems to record issues & we have received requests to interface their ticket systems into our own.

Can I get an official response from Atlasssian on this?

I've already checked the "Restricted Functions" article here:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRACLOUD/Restricted+functions+in+JIRA+Cloud

... though it is not clearly stated & I require a written statement that I can return to my clients stating that this functionality does or does not exist.

Thanks,
Matt Chambers
Enowa Consulting

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 16, 2015

Susan's point is valid - while you can't install assorted addons that might have specific and dedicated connection routes to other systems, JIRA Cloud still implements the JIRA REST interface, which other systems can use to talk to it.  So, if your other system can be persuaded to make REST calls, it can "interface" with JIRA easily.

(Doesn't actually matter that it's Cloud, the REST interface is the same on Server)

Thanks, Nic - I've looked a little into the REST API & see that it is enabled by default on OnDemand instances... my next question, is do you know if it's possible to do the same on the outbound side? For instance... a user creates a ticket in an external system... that ticket is assigned to my group which then goes out & makes a REST call to create a ticket in JIRA... once we complete the ticket on our side, can it send a message back to close the ticket in the original system? Thanks very much for your help. Matt

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 16, 2015

Possibly, but there are only a small handful of things you can do on Cloud for that - webhooks really.

1 vote
Susan Matyas-Breedlove June 16, 2015

I am not with Atlassian - but I have worked in 2 companies that built or connected an external system (outside of JIRA) that logs a ticket into our JIRA project or system. So that part is doable if you have the devs to build it.

Hi Susan - I appreciate the fast response, but was that an in-house instance of JIRA, or a hosted instance? I know that it is possible w/ an in-house version of the software, but this question is specifically related to whether or not you can do this w/ an instance hosted by Atlasssian themselves. Thanks, Matt

Suggest an answer