Integration/Tool for creating Test Cases and Linking to Issues/Defects?

Tudor Hofnar November 1, 2012

Is there any integration for JIRA that would create an environment similar to HP Quality Center. Lets say that we have a Project in JIRA and have a lot of issues under that project, most of which are User Stories. Now each User Story gets tested and we would like to create Test Cases which link to this User Story. Furthermore, if a Test Case fails we want to be able to create a defect which links to the test case and the user story....is this possible?

I looked at Bamboo and Bonfire but either seems to offer this sort of Test Case creation....Bamboo seems like its more for builds rather than for individual tests. Has anyone implemented similar behaviours in JIRA?

Thanks!

EDIT: Bonfire seems to do a good job with the test sessions and recording defects. But the browser sidebar seems to available only in the browser? Can this be leveraged for a desktop application? Also are test cases tracked anywhere? As in the instructions/steps for a test that lead to the defect or would those just be entered in the description?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
JohnA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 1, 2012

Hi Tudor,

I think you'll find that integrating JIRA with Zephyr using the Zephyr Connector plugin that is bundled in OnDemand is the best solution for integrating your OnDemand instance with a test case management tool. I don'rt have direct experience using Zephyr but I believe it should perform all the tasks you require.

You are correct that Bamboo is aimed towards builds and I'm sorry to say we don't have a Bonfire equivalent for desktop applications because Bonfire is a web browser based tool, but I do agree that it would be great for desktop applications too.

All the best,
John

Tudor Hofnar November 1, 2012

That looks perfect! Thank you John, I will have to look a bit further into Zephyr but it looks very promising.

0 votes
Kinto Soft
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 2, 2012

Hi,

Maybe the Links Hierarchy Structure plug-in could be useful to explore those complex relationships at a glance.

Regards,

Pablo

Suggest an answer