Integrating a new user-base into a jira instance.

Alden Lee November 7, 2013

We have a Jira instance that our developers have been using for a number of years (approx. 12,000 issues), internal use only. Now our Operations team wants to move to Jira from another product (will also be internal only). The Ops team have a tendancy to create tickets with a large number of attachments consisting primarily (though not exclusively) of screenshots and UAT documentation (about 1.5gb of attachments/year in the old system).

Basically, I wanted to know if there are best practices for attachment management. Is there a large performance impact to having a large number of attachments on issues (and can that impact be mitigated by increasing system resources)? Is there a certain number of issues under which the number of attachments wouldn't impact performance (in other words, am I worrying too much too early? Should I not worry about it until we are in the neighborhood of 20,000-30,000 tickets?) Should I keep them seperate and give them each a jira instance, or is that overkill?

I realize there are several ways we could go, just not sure what is recommended (or easiest). If necessary, the Ops team is willing to keep some of their artifacts on a file-share instead of attaching them to issues, then add a reference to the file-share in the issue.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Maarten Cautreels
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 8, 2013

Are you altking about an OnDemand instance or a locally installed instance? In case of the first one, we're currently using JIRA OnDemand for about a year. We have 12.000 issues with 5000 attachments and everything is still running as smooth as at the start.

Please be aware of the 25 GB limit on Attachments on OnDemand.

If you're using a download instance of JIRA everything depends on the specifications of the server hosting the instance.

Alden Lee November 8, 2013

A locally installed instance. Currently the box has 2gb of ram and Jira is still set to an Xmx of 768mb. I was thinking of increasing jira's available mem to 1gb.

Maarten Cautreels
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 8, 2013

I just checked and apparently our OnDemand "only" has 506 MB of RAM available so if you increase it to 1 GB you should be fine.

And personally I don't think attachments would influence performance too much since it's not something that's being indexed and searchable. Just make sure you have enough disk space available (or make sure it's fairly easy to add extra disk).

1 vote
Tini Good
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 11, 2013

I haven't noticed any performance issues with our Download version. We have 108mb of attachments in 315 files across almost 4,000 issues.

Suggest an answer