Integrating Zabbix 2.0 and JIRA 5.1.3

Deleted user August 7, 2013

We currently use Zabbix for our server monitoring, and when there is a problem it sends an email into our Zabbix Mailbox, which is monitored by JIRA, and issues are raised from there.

The problem with this is that when a Zabbix alert is resolved, we have to manually close the JIRA issue, and if a Zabbix alert resolves and alerts again before we can close the JIRA Issue then it will raise a duplicate JIRA Issue.

My questions are;

1) Is there a way we can get JIRA to close the JIRA issue when the Zabbix alert has cleared?

2) Is there a way we can get JIRA to realise if a Zabbix alert already has an open JIRA Issue and doesn't raise the duplicate?

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alex Perez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 7, 2013

Hi,

Im using zabbix for server monitoring too, and I think it's a great idea this integration!!

I suppose you're using JEMH plugin or similar to create tickets from incoming mails, isn't it? If so, I recommend you to explore the plugin options to

• If there is no similar ticket (same summary), create a new one.
  • If there is a similar ticket, but is closed, reopen.
  • If there is open, do nothing.

But you have to define a way to determine if two emails from zabbix / tickets in jira are about the same issue or not.

Another way to explore is to configure zabbix to execute scripts if an alert is triggered. The script could be a tiny java program that creates the ticket. Inside this program you can check if there is a similar issue and reopen it if is closed .. etc.

In the other side, you should tell jira to check if alert XXX that caused to issue to be created is still active or not. IMO this is job for a Jira Service plugin. This can be a a java program that checks (by web or database) if alerts of the issues that are still open and close them if not.

Either way, there is a bit of script and java programming work :)

HTH

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events