Integrating Jira Service Desk and Confluence

Vadim Shtukan March 13, 2017

Hello there. Having weird problem with Service Desk - Confluence integration. 

• Server 1 - JIRA software + Service Desk
  • Server 2 - Confluence

They are both fine connected via applink with Oauth (no impersonation, because we use different user bases).

No problem between JIRA and Confluence, as is said. They are correctly connected to each other and i can, for example link JIRA issue to confluence page and link confluence article to issue in Jira. So they are fine.

Problems occured when i trying to link confluence space to service desk.

In the web interface it throws this erros, when trying to choose space (which are not visible)

image2017-3-14 9:50:12.png

And error log says that 

2017-03-14 09:34:19,651 https-jsse-nio-8443-exec-7 ERROR Manager 574x7140x1 14obaqn 192.168.1.8 /rest/servicedesk/1/servicedesk/TP/kb/d9e1d013-e4b7-3836-b426-f07f8f7077fa/space [c.a.s.i.api.applink.BaseAppLinkResponseHandler] Applink request has returned an error with status code 401: {"message":"Client must be authenticated to access this resource.","status-code":401}

Ofc i am correctly authentificated both in JIRA and Confluence. Also, this user have admins permissons for Service Desk project and Confluence space.

Hovewer, if i change confluence security settings to allow anonymous users access to Confluence and space that i want to link, it link correctry and doesnt throw any errors. But this is not suitable for me, because this application is faced outsite of the firewall and i dont want whole internet viewing my company stuff smile

Can anyone suggest somethink?

With appreciation

2 answers

0 votes
Vadim Shtukan March 16, 2017

Cant figure out why its happening. Changed Applink to impersonation and it works correctly.

0 votes
Niclas Sandstroem
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 13, 2017
Vadim Shtukan March 14, 2017

Thanks. I've already seen that.

After digging even more i found that requests to confluence beeng handly by 'anonymous' user.

And i think that i affected with this bug

Avinash Singh March 15, 2018

Do you have any update on this ?

Im facing the same problem. 

Confluence - 6.1.2

Jira Serivce Desk - 3.8.2

Avinash Singh March 19, 2018

Solution is to have OAuth with impersonate enabled on both sides.

Eric Salonen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 1, 2018

@Avinash Singhbut what if the 2 applications have different set of users?

Avinash Singh June 3, 2018

This was the feedback from Atlassian Support:

"

As required by Confluence, the application link has to be configured with OAuth with Impersonation for this feature to work. It doesn't matter even if you have a different set of users in JIRA Service Desk and Confluence.

By using the impersonation, both applications should be using the same user session token, hence should respect permission applied in one application to the other. Therefore with this setting you should be able to have the permission in Confluence applied to JIRA when trying to select a Knowledge Base page from the Service Desk project setting page.

This is better explained in Serving customers with a knowledge base.

"

Suggest an answer