Integrated systems and deleted issues - Automate "add label" -> then "delete issue"

Jakob Agelin December 11, 2020

This question is based off an edge case where I need to know what issues to delete in an integrated system after it's deleted in Jira.

I would need something like below:

• Jira is integrated with Aha!
  • When an issue is deleted in Jira (since this doesn't reflect in the integrated system)
  • Jira should first add label "Deleted" to that record (so that Aha! retrieves this update), then delete.

I realize that this also works the other way around, by adding a label which triggers an automation to delete that same record (have not tried this though). I would however like to use the native delete function primarily.

Anyone out there with some good thoughts on this? Or maybe have you solved this in a different manner?

Regards,

Jakob

1 answer

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 12, 2020

Hi Jakob,

welcome to the Atlassian Community.

If I understood you right you want to change the way how Jira deleted issues.
First it should label issues instead, then, later on, the actual deletion should take place.

Here I see the problem - the labeling will most likely be possible with Automation or something else (there is the "Issue deleted" event you could refer to).
But the deletion will then follow in a few seconds, right after.

Common sense from seasoned Jira users is generally to delete as less as possible. Probably you can find a different approach to the use case or at least go with the normal delete button, I believe this is really an edge case.

The only thing that I could think of is to catch the "Issue Deleted" Event - immediately notify Aha, let the deletion process as normal.
This has a bunch of questions - for example, what will happen in Aha is not reachable in the second of the deletion for whatever reason.
Also this should be tested very well - at the moment it is just based on theory.
You also would find out if there is a reliable way to call Aha - possibly they also just use REST API.

Regards,
Daniel

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events