Integrate a different JIRA instance into another

Jose M.
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 3, 2015

We have the task to integrate a part of a different  JIRA 5.2 instance into our own 6.1.5. The JIRA 5.2 instance does have costumised processes (e.g. workflows), and the 6.1.5 also. There are also different users in a different user directory.

Does anyone already have experience with this kind of task? How to manage it best ?

Thanks for any advise.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 3, 2015

Yes, several times.  

The starting point is that you'll need to separate the configuration from the issue data, as they're two very different things to move.

On config: The process you choose depends on the amount of data you've got to work with.  If it's a small amount, then investing in simply manually copying settings and doing a couple of project imports could be the way to go.  But if you have a lot of settings to import, consider the use of the Botron Project configurator stuff which lets you move configs between projects.

For issue data, it's a bit more straightforward.  Upgrade the 5.2 to 6.1.5 (or copy it and upgrade the copy), then export it to xml, then use "project import" to drag in the issue data for the projects you need to get in.

I usually think of users as being part of the config, but I think you've got a merge/de-duplicate exercise there, and some of the work depends on what diretories you have and what you want to end up with.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 6, 2015

Pretty much what I said then ;-)

0 votes
Jose M.
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 6, 2015

From Atlassian Support the following information was given to me:

Let me warn you first here, that this task would be difficult, as you would need to ensure all previously configured fields and configuration are able to be recreate in the targetted instance. Only project related configuration will be able to be transferred to your target JIRA instance by using Project Restore. To merge your system configuration would not be possible.

Please follow this GUIDE on how to migrate your project to your taget instance. You will need to upgrade your source instance to the same version of the target instance before exporting it out.

Suggest an answer