Insufficient information for Survey and Vote Macro

John Riker March 31, 2014

I just installed Survey and Vote Macro and when I try to insert a Vote macro, I get the message

"You have to add choices to the vote to start voting (one line, for each choice)" However, the UI for macro config has provision to update title, Headings for title, Changeable votes, show comments, List of voters, List of viewers, etc. I do not see any option to add choices.

When I try to insert a survey macro, I get different message

"You have to add ballots to the survey to start voting (one line, for each vote)"

6 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Frank Stiller
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 31, 2014

I agree a javascript based ui could probably improve the UI of the macro, but this one worked quite well for the last 8 years now.

The vote macro allows to let you answer a question which you have to enter in the title field during macro configuration. You then have to add choices (each line one choice) on editing the wiki page (macro body)

The survey macro is a collection of vote macros. You can either control each of the vote macros (or herer called also ballots) with inline dashes ("-" characters). Each line within the survey macro is a full grown vote macro in the end.

Feel free to make suggestions on how to improve user experience here.

--Frank

1 vote
DebbieR October 2, 2014

Hello, can someone show me how a sample survey and vote macro actually looks like in edit and normal mode? Thanks

Frank Stiller
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 2, 2014

If you enter the macro like this:

Bildschirmfoto 2014-10-03 um 10.06.17.png

it will be rendered accordingly:

Bildschirmfoto 2014-10-03 um 10.07.46.png

DebbieR October 6, 2014

Thank you Frank Stiller :-)

0 votes
Frank Stiller
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 25, 2014

The title on a survey has not the purpose of a question, the survey-title enables the survey menu bar and a box around the whole survey. You still have to add single ballots (votes) into its body

0 votes
Frank Stiller
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 25, 2014

Hi Mayank, the manual still says that there are no questions involved in your configuration: `{survey:changeableVotes=true|voters=user1,user2|viewers=user3} Knowledge - This is the knowledge category. Communication - This is the communication category. {survey}` see the wiki usage guide for old wiki syntax: https://github.com/drohne1673/confluence-survey-plugin/wiki/Usage#example-survey-macro-usage Why dont you use the new Macro Browser functionality? Wiki Syntax is not recommended by Atlassian since quite some time and the survey plugin supports it quite nicely also a while

0 votes
Mayank November 25, 2014

Hi Frank,

I have use below scripts in page layout but unable to vote my confluence version is (5.5.2), kindly suggest.

##$helper.renderConfluenceMacro("{survey:alwaysShowResults=true | title=Default-survey | viewers=admin | voters=agent | choices = Excellent,Good,Poor}")

$helper.renderConfluenceMacro("{survey: title=Default-Vote | viewers=admin | voters=agent}")

0 votes
John Riker April 5, 2014

Yes, I missed the part where I have to add choices in the macro body. I really did not find the option to add choices on the macro configuration, at least not intuitively. The ballots for survey need to have inline dashes, is that part (with dashes) documented anywhere? I just figured it out by looking at the small icon next to the add-on. Suggestions

- The UI configuration should provide options to enter choices and/or

- The documentation can have some screen-captures with example.

The macro is otherwise is excellent and is actively being used by many users in our company.

Thank You

Frank Stiller
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 7, 2014

Hi John. Thanks for the suggestions. I added two new issues in this plugins issuetracker:

https://github.com/drohne1673/confluence-survey-plugin/issues/23

https://github.com/drohne1673/confluence-survey-plugin/issues/22

Adding screenshots should be quite straight. Adding a java script based UI will take some more effort and will not be implemented that fast.

For my defence the help was quite more understandable on confluence 3 and older as there was a really good possibility within confluence and wiki markup. Nowadays a fancy UI is expected. We will see if someone will help out on github, at least some users helped already ;).

Suggest an answer