Installing Jira (download) - Running Jira with dedicated user account Runas error?

Adar Bronstein May 13, 2012

Hey guys,

I'm trying to install Jira on my server and I'm following the instructions.

I believe I'm almost done and when I try to run Jira with a dedicated user account which I was successful to create (user jira) I get an error.

This is what I'm doing on CMD:

runas /env /user:<DOMAIN>\jira start-jira.bat

After that it asks me for the password and when I type it in I get the following error:

RUNAS ERROR: Unable to run - start-jira.bat

2: The system cannot find the file specified

Anyone knows what seems to be the problem?

Thank you :)

3 answers

0 votes
aquila jiang October 10, 2015

Jira install scirpt didn't create a dedicated user account

0 votes
kailash chander April 1, 2014

i have the same issue guys... any solution yet? Thanks!!

0 votes
Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 13, 2012

Try to use the full path for start-jira.bat. If I remember well, on windows there are several switches which affects the current path of the runas command.

I tried doing the following as well:

runas /env /user:<DOMAIN>\jira C:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA\bin\start-jira.bat

but I received a list of instructions on how to use "Runas" properly instead of getting a sresult, perhaps I'm not using it right when it comes to typing in a dir, can't really understand the instructions.

Also tried runas /env /user:<DOMAIN>\jira "C:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA\bin\start-jira.bat" and it does ask me for a password though afterwards I get:

Attempting to start C:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA\bin\start-jira.bat as user "<DOMAIN>\jira" ...

And nothing happens

Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 13, 2012

Since you have spaces in path, the second one should work, not the first one.

You will have to make sure that the profile is correctly set (check if JAVA_HOME is set for that user, etc)

runas /env /user:<DOMAIN>\jira "C:/Program Files/Atlassian/JIRA/bin/start-jira.bat"

should do it. However, if you do not provide an error or something, there's little I can do, too many things may go wrong.

Not sure how to check if the profile is correctly set for the user..

Under system Variables I have JIRA_HOME set to value of C:\Program Files\Atlassian\Application Data\JIRA and JAVA_HOME set to value of C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_04

Thanks a lot for your feedback ! :)

Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 13, 2012

Jira works with JDK 1.6, not with 1.7

Downloaded 1.6 and redirected JAVA_HOME to it though nothing seems to change (also, the Jira instructions page doesn't state that only JDK 1.6 should be downloaded)

Thanks !

Suggest an answer