Installing Jira 7 on Linux

natereinhardt October 15, 2015

I have been having troubles installing Jira on my linux VM. I first installed 6.7 and thought it was successful. I saw that 7 came and wanted to try to install it . Now when I do the express install I get this 

Extracting files ...
com.install4j.runtime.beans.actions.misc.RunExecutableAction failed

I cannot find a way to resolve this. If i ignore it then it wont make an opt folder and I cannot start or stop the JIRA instance. Or even uninstall it.

Any solutions? 

Thanks!

PS:

Here is the entire process....

Unpacking JRE ...
Starting Installer ...
Oct 15, 2015 11:29:22 AM java.util.prefs.FileSystemPreferences$2 run
INFO: Created system preferences directory in java.home.
This will install JIRA Software 7.0.0 on your computer.
OK [o, Enter], Cancel [c]
o
Choose the appropriate installation or upgrade option.
Please choose one of the following:
Express Install (use default settings) [1], Custom Install (recommended for adva nced users) [2, Enter], Upgrade an existing JIRA installation [3]
The following default options cannot be used. You will be asked to provide alter natives for these options.
* Home Directory (Existing home directory)
Default location for JIRA Software data
[/var/atlassian/application-data/jira]
Details on where JIRA Software will be installed and the settings that will be u sed.
Installation Directory:
Home Directory: /var/atlassian/application-data/jira
HTTP Port: 8080
RMI Port: 8005
Install as service: Yes
Install [i, Enter], Exit [e]
i
Extracting files ...
com.install4j.runtime.beans.actions.misc.RunExecutableAction failed
Ignore [i, Enter], Quit [q]

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
David Dunaway October 15, 2015

Have you checked what version and/or the correct  java is being used to install with. Seems like a failure early on in the process, and smells to me like the jvm can't be started for installation.  

ie: Check $JAVA_HOME is set to the correct jvm you want to have run. 

hth.

natereinhardt October 16, 2015

java -version openjdk version "1.8.0_60" OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_60-b27) OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.60-b23, mixed mode) which java /usr/bin/java running these two commands should verify that I have my JAVA HOME setup correctly? one thing I do find odd is when I echo $JAVA_HOME nothing comes back.

David Dunaway October 16, 2015

As Nic mentioned, make sure you have permission in the directory you are working in (as root) at the very least. Then try to set $JAVA_HOME before you run the installer. See what happens there. If /opt/atlasssian/jira/jre/bin/java already exists then try setting JAVA_HOME to that as well (you can hardcode this in /opt/atlassian/jira/bin/setenv.sh as well, if needed).

0 votes
corrado _dex_ April 16, 2016

I'm facing the same issue with 6.4.13

Oracle JDK 1.8

0 votes
MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 17, 2015

Is Openjdk supported now?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 15, 2015

That's a pretty generic error, but the most common reason for it is that your user does not have the read/write/execute/delete permissions on the directory you have chosen.

Suggest an answer