Installed Confluence on the Same JIRA Server, how to separate user management

Supriya May 21, 2021

I Installed Confluence on the same JIRA Server. I have 50 JIRA licenses and 10 Confluence licenses. During the installation I selected same JIRA User management.

After the installation is completed now Confluence is asking me to delete the excess users.

If I delete or disable these users in Confluence the same change is getting reflected in JIRA.

I don't want to delete these users in JIRA and I want to delete some users just from confluence. How do I do that?

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 21, 2021

At the moment you are using the same default set of users for both instances. The solution is to create in Jira a group called confluence-users, add in to this group the users who need access to Confluence. 

Then in Confluence change your settings for access to this new confluence-users group. 

Individuals can be in both jira-users and confluence-users or only in one of them. 

It may seem a little weird to control the user access in Jira but if you think of Jira as also being your user management tool for Confluence then it makes more sense. 

Phill

Supriya May 21, 2021

Hi Phil,

Thank you for your response. I created a group for Confluence users and added 5 users to that group.

Where exactly in the settings should I change the access inside confluence? I couldn't find anything under users / user sign-up Options.

Thank you,
Supriya

Supriya May 21, 2021

Hi Phil, I was able to change it under permissions. Thank you.

Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 21, 2021

@Supriya Glad you found the solution for anyone else who stumbles across this page, the reference https://confluence.atlassian.com/confkb/understanding-permission-in-confluence-979403839.html explains how to set the different permissions in Confluence. 

0 votes
Mubashar Ali May 22, 2021

Suggest an answer