Installed ADD-ON from GUI disappears after JIRA-restart.

Kalyani Khandelwal August 28, 2013

Hi,

We have customized jira-mail-plugin and installed it to JIRA using manage ADD-ON GUI. It creates something like plugin_2319847751062687154_jira-mail-plugin-6.0.4_new.jar file in installed-plugin directory as well as in JIRA's temp directory every time we install it.

And our customization to handling mails works, but as soon as we restart JIRA this installed plugin disappears from the GUI and customization doesn't work.

I have also copied this jar in installed-plugin directory, WEB-INF/classes directory but changes are not picked up untill we installed using add-on GUI.

Could you please help us installing this plugin.jar permanently to our JIRA 6 server.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kalyani

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Yes, I did modify the plugin as bring the Licensed user we had access to the source code of the same. I disabled original plugin as well. But I guess keeping the same artifact-id and plugin name were creating the problem. I modified the pom.xml and changed the same, removed the <scm> tag and this new Jar works persistent.

I am not sure what is the exact check is done when we modify the system plugin.

But now after disabling system plugin, customized one is working for me.

Thanks for the pointers though, I will try to check what went wrong in the earlier one.

Thanks,

Kalyani

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 28, 2013

The "disabled on startup" symptom is typical of a failure of a plugin to load during the startup of Jira.

You certainly need to remove it from web-inf/lib, it should not be in there. Once you've done that, you should provoke the failure again, restart Jira and read the log as it starts up. It should tell you why it's failing to start the plugin during startup. (I suspect it's a dependency - the plugin needs something else before it can start, but Jira is trying to load it before what it's dependent on, but I can't bet on that without the log!)

Hi Nic,

Thanks for information, I checked the logs and here is what I have found,The detailed Logs are attached, I cannot tell exactly what might be the issue, but JIRA is disabling my plugin by the looks of it.

(kalyani_test.log)2013-08-29 12:08:45,012 pool-8-thread-2 INFO nithin.ck@nsn.com 728x62x2 1cigo9y 10.142.140.129 /rest/plugins/1.0/ [atlassian.plugin.loaders.ScanningPluginLoader] No plugins found to be installed
2013-08-29 12:08:47,547 pool-8-thread-2 INFO nithin.ck@nsn.com 728x62x2 1cigo9y 10.142.140.129 /rest/plugins/1.0/ [atlassian.plugin.manager.DefaultPluginManager] Found dependent enabled plugins for uninstalled plugin 'com.atlassian.jira.jira-mail-plugin': []. Disabling...
2013-08-29 12:08:47,548 pool-8-thread-2 INFO nithin.ck@nsn.com 728x62x2 1cigo9y 10.142.140.129 /rest/plugins/1.0/ [atlassian.plugin.manager.DefaultPluginManager] Updating plugin 'com.atlassian.jira.jira-mail-plugin' to 'com.atlassian.jira.jira-mail-plugin'
2013-08-29 12:08:47,548 pool-8-thread-2 INFO nithin.ck@nsn.com 728x62x2 1cigo9y 10.142.140.129 /rest/plugins/1.0/ [atlassian.plugin.manager.DefaultPluginManager] Disabling com.atlassian.jira.jira-mail-plugin
2013-08-29 12:08:47,560 pool-8-thread-2 INFO nithin.ck@nsn.com 728x62x2 1cigo9y 10.142.140.129 /rest/plugins/1.0/ [service.services.file.AbstractMessageHandlingService$HandlerDisablementListener] Plugin Module 'com.atlassian.jira.jira-mail-plugin:createOrCommentHandler' defining the handler used by this service has been disabled. Clearing the reference to avoid resource leaks.

Thanks,

Kalyani

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 28, 2013

Hmm, that doesn't really tell us much does it? The "disabling" line immediately after update tells us that it's killing the plugin as it's trying to load it, but not why.

One thought though - you say it's a modified plugin, do you still have the original installed? Could they be conflicting?

If not, then my instinct is to add/increase logging (temporarily) in the plugin loader and ideally your plugin as well. Have a look at https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Logging+and+Profiling and see if it's possible to get more logging out of the classes atlassian.plugin.manager.DefaultPluginManager and com.atlassian.jira.jira-mail-plugin

Suggest an answer