Installation fails with "It seems that you have tried to setup JIRA when it is already setup."

Andre Esser September 17, 2012

I'm planning to transfer a JIRA installation from one server to a different one, and at the same time to upgrade JIRA versions from 4.4.3 to 5.1.5.

I have successfully carried out the following steps:

1. Install JIRA 4.4.3 on brand new server.

2. On first run import current data from backup of old JIRA installation without supplying a license key.

3. Step-by-step upgrade of JIRA to current version.

Afterwards everything worked fine for about two weeks. Since this test upgrade went well I tried to

1. Uninstalled JIRA from new server.

2. Informed users not to do any modifications to the old JIRA installation.

3. Created backup of old JIRA installation.

4. Installed JIRA 4.4.3 on new server.

5. On first run import current data from backup of old JIRA installation without supplying a license key.

For the first few minutes everything worked fine as before. Then suddenly I got logged out and wasn't able to log back in.

I've retried the installation with different JIRA versions a few times with and without supplying an evaluation license but at the end of the data import I always get the message:

It seems that you have tried to setup JIRA when it is already setup.

And I'm never able to log in to the new JIRA instance.

Hope you can help,

Andre Esser

2 answers

0 votes
FagnerF
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 17, 2012

Hi Andre,

After install JIRA have you typed the license key than import your full backup? Also do you know if your key license has expire? If yes you could talk to Atlassian Sales Team here.

In case the steps above are fine you can check out how to upgrade JIRA.

Cheers.

As I said my initial successful tests were carried out without supplying any license when importing the backup.

After encountering aforementioned problems today and attempting a few re-installs without success, I finally requested my first JIRA evaluation key. I attempted a couple more new installs and supplied the eval key when importing from the old JIRA installations backup, but the error message at the end of the import remained the same and I was not able to log in to the new JIRA installation.

FagnerF
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 21, 2012

Hi Andre,

Could you pelase provide more details about your message error?

Also I'd like to suggest to you open a ticket at SAC even if you're using an evaluation license you can do this, but it should be before your license expire.

Cheers

0 votes
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 17, 2012

I believe you might be running into your default evalution license running out of time. I would contact support to extend your evaluation license or use your permenent license or use a development license to get things going before you switch over to your permenent license.

I never requested an evaluation license before today. My initial tests worked fine without providing a license.

Only when I encountered those problems today did I retry the install with an eval license, which resulted in the same error as before.

Suggest an answer