Installation and perpetual usage of licensed addons.

M K June 8, 2017

1. Should a licensed add-on stop working when the license ( or trial period ) runs out? We currently have a backend extension which is licensed, but the integrated rest-api keeps returning data even if there is no valid license. Is this normal behaviour or are we doing something wrong?

2. How can we test our add-on as developers? Can we get a permanent testing license?

So if I understand correctly there is a difference between perpetual licenses and subscription licenses? Where can I find information about these types and how do we make a choice for the license type of our add-on?

Is this a developers choice to make the lisense perpetual or limited in time ( untill expiration ) ?

Best regards,

Marek

1 answer

1 vote
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 8, 2017

Hi Marek,

1.)  Here is the explanation of how add-ons function from the License validation rules knowledge base article:

Evaluation licenses have expiration dates. The plugin can be updated as long as the evaluation license is valid. However, unlike a standard license, the plugin stops working when the license period for an evaluation license ends.

A license is invalid if the current date is greater than or equal to the license's expiration date. Normally, only evaluation and subscription licenses have expiration dates. Perpetual licenses do not have expiration dates; instead, perpetual licenses have maintenance expiration dates after which the add-on should continue to be fully functioning, but the customer will no longer be eligible for add-on updates or support.

2.)  If this is a license for a third party add-on you will need to reach out to the Customer Advocates at getsupport.atlassian.com for that request.

Hopefully that helps!

Cheers,

Branden

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 8, 2017

Most of the add-ons we use stop working once the full license expires.

Also, I recall JIRA Software isn't perpetual butI may be misremembering?

Suggest an answer