Install Jira and Confluence from source NO Incoming net access

Tim Dunphy May 3, 2014

Hello,

I just found out I had to install both Jira and Confluence. Which is cool. I've been using both products for a while now at various jobs. But this is the first time I'll be responsible for setting both up.

There is one rather important wrinke however. Which is that the server I am to install this onto is not going to have an incoming access to the internet. This was the conversation I had with my boss:

"I am about to send a firewall request

ahh.... we should have opened the firewalls

anyways they won't get any incoming opened

only outbound"

Also my boss apparently described installing Jira as 'just bascially installing a couple of PHP modules!'. Well correct me if I'm wrong, but that to me seems like a gross understatement and maybe even a misunderstanding about the situation.

Any help here on how to install jira and confluence with limited access (maybe from source) would be greatly welcomed!

Thanks

Tim

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 3, 2014

They will work fine. Locally. Your users need to be able to get to the server, so I assume the "no internet" rule means simply "don't want it accessible remotely, only on our network". You might struggle with some connectivity, but it is perfectly possible to run the apps without internet access - almost all of their functionality will work, it's just the marketplace and remote integrations you might run into issues with.

And yes, it's a gross understatement - Jira needs java and a full application server (Tomcat usually, but it's bundled into the "standalone" downloads), it doesn't use PHP at all, and although the download comes with a quick-to-get-started database, you should not use that for production and you really really really should use PostGreSQL, MySQL or Oracle. So that's three major defintely-not-"just"-modules you'll need to deal with. The installers do make this mostly quite easy - install java, create an empty database, run the installer and answer the questions, they'll do the rest. But no, definitely not "just a couple of modules"

As for source, you don't need it. I wouldn't touch the source unless you have very good reasons to be messing around with the java in the core application.

Suggest an answer