Install JIRA on Raspberry Pi - Java Error

Bolarinwa Ojewale June 9, 2014

When starting the bin install. I am getting the error below. Any idea of how I can troubleshoot this error?

Unpacking JRE ...

Starting Installer ...

/home/pi/atlassian-jira-6.2.6-x32.bin.14127.dir/jre/bin/java: 1: /home/pi/atlassian-jira-6.2.6-x32.bin.14127.dir/jre/bin/java:ELF0

4°: not found

/home/pi/atlassian-jira-6.2.6-x32.bin.14127.dir/jre/bin/java: 2: /home/pi/atlassian-jira-6.2.6-x32.bin.14127.dir/jre/bin/java: Syntax error: "(" unexpected

2 answers

2 votes
Andrew Dunn July 8, 2018

However, it is possible to get Jira installed on an RPi 3B+ using the tar.gz download of Jira.

RAM is still the main limiting factor. But the 3B and the 3B+ have 1GB or RAM, which still isn't enough, unless you reconfigure the default swap space.

I found jdavidpeter's guide a big help.

https://github.com/jdavidpeter/Jira-on-Raspberry-Pi

Long term, this much swap is probably not good for your SDcard, but it does allow you to get a small Jira instance up and running.

NotTheRealStephenSifersNOPENOPENOPENOPE
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 9, 2018

Holy Necro post Batman!

Andrew Dunn July 9, 2018

Indeed. But this is still one of the leading google results about installing Jira on a RPi, so useful to update it.

Like # people like this
1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 9, 2014

I think you've installed a version of Java that does not work on Raspberry Pi, due to different software architecture. I've had similar messages trying to whack standard ELF binaries onto machines built on ARM chips - you'll need to use the ARM based Java distribution of Java,

I'd also like to gently point out that 512Mb RAM probably isn't going to be enough for Jira - unless you're running a tiny handful of users, only a few issues, you'll quickly find you need at least 512Mb in the heap for Jira, which you can't do on a Pi because you need to leave memory for the OS as well...

Bolarinwa Ojewale June 9, 2014

Thanks Nic, I figured it had to do with the path of where Java is run from. I think the Java that comes with Jira .bin is the issue.

I had only planned to use Jira for 4 users. But I didnt really take into the system requirements before I tried to install it to my Pi. Ill look into other architectures to put my install on. Thanks for your help again.

crf
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 10, 2014

+1. You also have to consider what database to use. If you run it locally, you're taking up even more valuable ram. If your database runs elsewhere... my understanding is that the pi has rather poor I/O performance, so you'd probably run into that instead.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 10, 2014

It's worth trying to run anything on a Pi :-) But it's not powerful enough for everything, sometimes, you just need the raw processing/memory.

NotTheRealStephenSifersNOPENOPENOPENOPE
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 25, 2014

For the Java issue, it is most likely due to it being an ARM architecture and not an x86 or x64 (I had similar issues with other installs). For the I/O issue, yes you will get "slower" performance on a pi (a pi is a pi and not a server with SAS storage). If you have the option use a class 10 micro SD card. Its not going to make it blazing fast, but it will help out a bit with your I/O. I would love to know if you get Jira to work on pi in the end.

Suggest an answer