Install JIRA on MS Azure Websites?

schris403 January 15, 2015

Has anyone been able to successfully install JIRA on Microsoft Azure Websites as a Java / Tomcat application? I've been fighting the install for the past day without much success.. They use Tomcat 7.0.50 on their instances. What I have tried:

1. Downloaded the JIRA WAR & extracted it.
  2. Ran the build.sh script to build a compiled version of JIRA
  3. Extracted this WAR to: /site/wwwroot/webapps/ROOT

From this point I simply get a blank white page, no errors i the logs (from what I can tell).. I'm at a loss what to try next.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Chris

2 answers

1 vote
Daniel Winter March 29, 2015

that would be also very interesting for me to know if and how this could be accomplished.

Currently I just installed an all-in-one including tomcat. I think you have to at least setup the database as well?

You can either start a MS Sql or create a VM and install your own favourite DB:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Supported+Platforms

0 votes
Chris jordan September 28, 2016

In the Azure portal, create a new Ubuntu 14.04 LTS VM and let it spin up. I’ll recommend using at least an A2 Basic, because I found that the A1 just didn’t have enough RAM to run JIRA.I’m jumping ahead, but when the VM is ready, edit your endpoint selections, and pick external ports for the JIRA.

When you install Postgres, a postgres user is automatically created, and your database commands will need to go through it. Just to jump ahead a little, I’ll create a user and database for JIRA. Also at this step you can download JIRA and make it executable.

During the download process, accept all the defaults unless you have a specific reason not to. Once everything is installed, you can navigate in your browser to your VM’s IP address followed by the public port you picked for JIRA in your Azure endpoint selection.

For more detailed steps read this guide on how to install JIRA on Azure.

Suggest an answer