Inline editing not available in Comments Field

Mark Zaugg May 7, 2014

We're currently running JIRA 6.2.

I just had a JIRA assigned to me where the user can perform inline editing on the description field, but cannot perform inline editing on her comments. Instead she must click on the edit icon and perform the edit in a pop-up window.

Is this intentional behaviour, a misconfiguration or a bug?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2014

It is the intended behavior. Comments are not treated like other JIRA fields, atleast for now :)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 7, 2014

Yes, they're a conversation with a timeline, not a field that tells you stuff about the issue at the current moment. I actually don't expect that to change - they aren't really a field!

1 vote
Jan Plessow July 19, 2016

Definitely this an annoying behaviour, especially when trying to paste images or files into the comment. If you do not want to make it inline, at least enable the functionality to add content easily, like when editing the description or when adding a new comment. 

This is not congruent. 

0 votes
Corby Nagel June 26, 2014

We are also running into this issue as well. While I understand it is intended behavior, the option of having Inline editing would be ideal from a productivity standpoint. Right now when you edit a comment the dialog box locks you in place. So if you need to reference another comment in the issue, you have to open another browser window/tab and reference it that way. Inline editing of comments would help with this situation. It would be nice to at least have the option in General Settings to enable a feature like this. Just a suggestion.

Suggest an answer