Inhibit / allow JIRA email notifications on a JIRA event by event bases?

rick stuart August 22, 2016

Is it possible to provide a "check box" or other such interface that can inhibit / allow email-notifications on a JIRA-issue-event-or-edit by JIRA-issue-event-or-edit bases?  That would be a great stop-gap measure until an automated / autonomous solution is implemented.

I do like JIRA, but if others in my group do not use it (that is, they dump all JIRA emails into the trash), I can't see spending money on JIRA in the future.

1 answer

1 vote
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 22, 2016

No you can't do that. I'd say you are notifying on too many events or to too many users. I'd start by dropping notify on Issue Updated and Generic Event to anyone but watchers and current assignee. Those are usually the two events generating most of the emails. Even the issue closed event probably isn't of interest to anyone besides the reporter and watchers. I only allow the assignee to execute transitions so they don't need to be notified on any transition if you follow that model. Also tell the users to go into their profile and turn off notifications on updates they make if it is on. Also go into the defaults and turn that off for new users being created.

Suggest an answer