Inheritance of standard issue workflow to the Sub issue type.

VINAYAK SAINDANE December 16, 2013

How would I, Inherite the workflow of parent issue type to sub issue type.

ex- two diff sub issues under bug A (uses workflow grow oranges) and Issue B (uses workflow Grow Apple) respectively, should use parent workflow instead their own.

4 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
MJ
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 16, 2013

The sub issues you speak off essentially are just other issue types with your project.
The workflow scheme assigned to your project determine which workflows are related to which issue types.
If you wish certain issue types to use workflow A over B, you will have to change the configuration in the workflow scheme.

Be aware though, different workflow can use different statuses.
When you remap an issue type from workflow A to workflow B, all existing issues within the project will be moved to the new workflow.
If certain statuses in workflow A do not exist in workflow B, you will be required to remap these issues to an existing status in workflow B.

Mick, that's a static solution, what i was looking that JIRA should have some flexibility to use Parent workflow instead associated workflow to issue type.

I'm having 5 standard issue types and one sub issue type (named sub-task), so whenevr i am creating a subtask under any standard issue type- It shows the associated workflow but i would like to have an option (while associating a workflow to sub-issue type) to allow me to inherit parent workflow to Sub-issue type.

appriciate your help!

1 vote
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 16, 2013

Many people use subtasks to assign pieces of the work to close/resolve an issue and the workflow isn't the same as the parent. You can create a new issue of the same type and link it back to the original. That gives you the same workflow and a logical connection between the two issues.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 16, 2013

There is absolutely no way to do this in Jira without doing some significant hacking in the core code. The whole thing is structured on "issue type uses workflow". (By the way, I could ramble a lot about the idea, but Nick Massette and Joe Pitt have already said most of what I wanted to say)

It is an interesting idea though, and I'd be tempted to raise a feature request with Atlassian.

Before you do though, I think you need to justify the requirement, given that you're going to have users coming to you and saying "I created a sub-task and it's not letting me go to status X like the other one".

VINAYAK SAINDANE December 17, 2013

Yup! let's place this in a feature request bucket- Thanks Nic, joe and Mick.

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 16, 2013

JIRA doesn't do that and I can't think how you would force it even in a script. Workflows are attached to issue type through schemes.

ufs! I thought it could be pretty easy, It needs to chose workflow from parent instead it's own, because when i want to create a sub-taks in an "enhancement" it should logically behave like it's parent.

Hope someone have turnaround!

Thanks though.

Suggest an answer