Inherit fields from Epic to Story and see them updated already in the Story Create screen

Reply Test Group February 16, 2021

Hi Jira Community,

it is possible to inherit the Assignee and Priority fields (maybe even others) from the Epic to a related Story and see those fields updated already in the Story Create screen ?

My situation is that I have an Epic with an Assigne and a Priority :

1.png

and I want to create a Story related to this Epic : 

2.png

, but I want the Assigne and Priority shown in the Story "Create issue" screen to copy those of the Epic and NOT to set their default value :

3.png

Because I can create Story with or without a related Epic, it's important that I can have:

- a Story Create screen with the fields updated already when the Story is linked to an Epic;

- a Story Create screen with th fields set at default value when the Story is NOT linked to an Epic.

There is some way to do this ?

Thank you all, bye.

-Fabio-

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Laura Campbell _Seibert Media_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 17, 2021

Hi Fabio @Reply Test Group 

Our app Elements Copy & Sync could help you. It works with copy recipes, and you can set up the field mapping to copy the assignee and priority of the source issue (in your example, the Epic) to the target issue (Story).

You can see how it works in this video: https://youtu.be/SQlQTkSzIeI

or check out the documentation.

Reply Test Group February 25, 2021

TY @Laura Campbell _Seibert Media_ 

with this app I managed to make a bridge between Epic and Story during the Story Create Screen appearance, to insert Epic's assignee and priority in Story's ones !

1111.png

2222.png

The only problem now is that I must use the "recipe" option instead of using the standard "Create issue in epic" button. 

Do you know if there is a way to bind this button with the recipe functionality?

Anyway, thank you again! 

-Fabio-

Laura Campbell _Seibert Media_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 25, 2021

Hi Fabio @Reply Test Group 

Currently there is no way to bind the button with the app functionality, but that is actually a really interesting use case. I think our product owner would be interested in learning more in order to determine if it's something that could be developed.

I can't find you in our list of evaluators, but if you'd be willing to chat for 20 minutes with our product owner you can send an email to contact@elements-apps.com or contact us through the chatbot on our website product pages

1 vote
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 16, 2021

Hi Fabio,

you are right, Automation will not help you in that case.
Based on my experience you would need to inspect Clone Apps from Marketplace that are capable of doing so.
I have no specific recommendation for a specific one for Cloud on file - but your use case is a bit of an advanced one.
So, when choosing an App for the use case you would have to evaluate one that addresses more advanced logic - vendors providing Clone Apps should be helpful in evaluation with you your use case.
Probably also some offerings will appear here later on - sometimes it is the case.

Regards,
Daniel

0 votes
Aiden Marriott
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 16, 2021

This is a great use case for Automation for Jira.  Its included free with Jira Cloud.  Have a play around and come back to the community if you get stuck... it is very intuitive though so I am sure you will be fine

Reply Test Group February 16, 2021

Ty @Aiden Marriott for your response, but using the Automations is not enough for my case.. 

With automations, I can easily pull this off AFTER the effective creation of the Story, but I want those updates to happen DURING the Story Create screen process (a situation where I still can't make use of automations because in this moment the Story is not even officially created).

I hope I have clarified.

-Fabio-

Trish Farrington December 22, 2021

I've worked with Jira in 3 different companies and all 3 have come up with the same use case.  It is a rather common ask.  I would think a simple configuration at the project level that allows for a story or task to inherit said fields during the create screen and then put a button on the create screen to say inherit from Epic that is greyed out until the Epic link is populated.  It should allow you to re-inherit if the Epic link gets changed by just reimporting the designated fields.  There should also be something on the epic and a story to either push the fields from the epic or re-inherit from the Epic if any of the fields get changed.  I would think Jira itself would want this functionality.  Not leave it for an application plugin

Like Reply Test Group likes this
Sandra Wagner June 13, 2022

It's an extremely common ask; in fact - I've never worked anywhere that did NOT have this very basic requirement of inheritance of certain fields from Parent to Child.

It could be something simple like a component or account or even Fix Versions. 

This should be a basic option in the JIRA automation (inherit from parent) but it's not.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events