Individual vs. group permissions across modules

Brent F. November 6, 2013

I'm part of a supporting team for a fairly small Atlassian instance which includes JIRA, Confluence, and Stash. We rely on LDAP for authentication. Since we're limited on licenses, we need a way to not add our entire active directory to Atlassian, but at the same time give project owners/leads in Atlassian the ability to manage users for their project without having access to any other projects.

So far we've explored using groups vs. individual permissions. From what we understand, in order for a project owner/lead to manage a group they must be able to manage all groups for that Atlassian environment. Is that true? This is a deal breaker for us. Alternatively for individual permissions, we can let the project owner/lead manage the permissions, but again without giving the project owner/lead the ability to adjust the global permissions as well it can't work. The workaround has been to create a single global group which we as the supporting team have to individually add users to each and every time someone new needs access. This isn't a scalable solution for us.

Are we missing something? I understand theres another module called Crowd, but not sure this helps us attempt to keep our license usage under control while also allowing project owners/leads the ability to manage their own users.

1 answer

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 10, 2013

I didn't completly get the question, but my guess is that you are missing the usage of Project Roles.

Define project roles, and use them in the project permissions schemes. Once done, the project admins can decide who is in which role which essentially means they can manage who has permissions to their projects.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Project+Roles

Brent F. November 10, 2013

Thanks Renjith for your response. We are using project roles, but when a project admin adds another user, doesn't that user also have to exist in a global permissions group?

Suggest an answer