Indexing in a virtualized environment

Adam White June 12, 2016

For those of you that have virtualized your instances (both application and database), what are your indexing speeds like / how many issues do you have?

Ours seems to vary wildly. We have ~80,000 issues and a background index takes a widely variable amount of time.

4 answers

0 votes
MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 16, 2016

Background index times depend on the activity in JIRA at the same time. I'd check your VM server statistics for other VMs using resources (CPU/disk) during the same time. You also want to check you have enough -Xmx set for the JVM heap to avoid large GC pauses

Adam White June 16, 2016

Our  XMX value is "-Xmx6144m", so that seems like plenty, no?

0 votes
Adam White June 16, 2016

The database server has 4 Cores and 18GB RAM. MS SQL Server 2012. 

0 votes
Boris Georgiev _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 16, 2016

What type of database are you using and what version (very important as I noticed great difference between MySQL versions for example) ?

Indexing speed might be affected by a lot of factors.

0 votes
Peter T
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 12, 2016

Hi Adam.

I would look at the storage performance.What are you using to provision storage to the VM?

On system I use quite often with 50K issues background indexing takes about 8 mins.

This KB Article explains how to start about performance troubleshooting.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/kb/testing-disk-access-speed-for-a-java-application-818577561.html

Cheers,
Peter T

Adam White June 13, 2016

We've got raided SSDs providing storage to the DB, Machine, and Home Directory servers, something else is amiss here. Mind sharing your virtual machine specs?

Peter T
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 13, 2016

Can you provide some examples of the times you are experiencing? Also what kind of monitoring you have on the system, CPU, I/O, memory, users load?

Adam White June 16, 2016

Thanks Peter. We have 24GB RAM with 8 Cores. We're using RAID'ed SSD drives for storage. Anti-virus should not be a factor on the machine. The 5 hour background index was on off-hours (sunday afternoon). 

We have 90,000 issues and a background index on sunday afternoon took over 5 hours.

We have  323 custom fields according to System Info, could that be a reason? I've tried to restrict some of them to specific projects, but I still have some room to go there. What is your custom field count at?

Adam White June 16, 2016

I should also say that general JIRA usage is very fast, including searching. The only painful thing is re-indexing.

Suggest an answer