Indexing hangs

Jordan Pflum February 6, 2014

Hi there,

If I may continue this topic about 1 year later......

My organization (including myself) is new to JIRA. Today I attempted to perform a re-index via the "Lock" method in our Production instance. We have had no problems with this before, but today, as soon as the process began, it hung at zero % and, hours later, has not progressed any further. Our JIRA instance is SMALL compared to what you normally see, I am sure, in that a typical, routine Locked-method re-index takes just over 1 minute on average to complete. Obviously the major problem here is that users are completed locked out of the system while the re-index is in progress, seemingly going nowhere.

Is there any recommendation at all on how to proceed with fixing this problem???

I appreciate any advice you may be able to offer!!!!

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 6, 2014

First, restart it - it's obviously hung. Secondly, look at your log file - what does that say?

0 votes
Chip Root July 17, 2017

I am also a 'newbie' to JIRA.  Having inherited an instance in a new job I started recently.  Quick question.  When you say 'restart' do you mean from within a console, by manually restarting a service, or some other method?  Thanks for any guidance as I'm facing the same issue today.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 17, 2017

You go on to the server and use the JIRA stop and start scripts to halt the whole service. 

Sijo kurien April 23, 2021

Ours is a huge setup which takes around 14 hrs to index. It is stuck at 99 percentage now. Restart is not feasible with the time frame. What else can we do?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 23, 2021

Nothing - you'll need to restart if the process has hung.

0 votes
Jordan Pflum February 16, 2014

The re-start that Nic suggested worked to correct this....... a full re-index following the re-start was successful.

0 votes
Sameera Shaakunthala [inactive]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 6, 2014

I suggest that you post this as a new question.

Suggest an answer