Indexing gets stuck at 5%

While performing a Locked re-index the process gets stuck at 5%. This can last for days.

The JIRA service gets stuck and the machine must be restarted.

Is there any place to look to investigate this error.

Here is the output of the log file.

/secure/admin/jira/IndexReIndex.jspa [action.admin.index.IndexAdminImpl] Re-indexing is 1% complete. Current index: Issue

2013-08-28 13:06:14,428 IssueIndexer:thread-6 INFO jbrass 786x112x1 1cgreie 67.111.48.66 /secure/admin/jira/IndexReIndex.jspa [action.admin.index.IndexAdminImpl] Re-indexing is 2% complete. Current index: Issue

2013-08-28 13:06:15,036 IssueIndexer:thread-7 INFO jbrass 786x112x1 1cgreie 67.111.48.66 /secure/admin/jira/IndexReIndex.jspa [action.admin.index.IndexAdminImpl] Re-indexing is 3% complete. Current index: Issue

2013-08-28 13:06:16,066 IssueIndexer:thread-3 INFO jbrass 786x112x1 1cgreie 67.111.48.66 /secure/admin/jira/IndexReIndex.jspa [action.admin.index.IndexAdminImpl] Re-indexing is 4% complete. Current index: Issue

2013-08-28 13:06:16,830 IssueIndexer:thread-7 INFO jbrass 786x112x1 1cgreie 67.111.48.66 /secure/admin/jira/IndexReIndex.jspa [action.admin.index.IndexAdminImpl] Re-indexing is 5% complete. Current index: Issue

2 answers

1 accepted

I did set set log levels to DEBUG. This produced much more output that looks like it was pointing to a problem.

Ultimately I fixed the problem by going into "Safe Mode" under the plugins. Once I did this the indexing ran with no problem. I have been re-enabling plugins on an as needed basis and re-running the index with no problems so far.

Looks ok so far, whats next, what is your CPU activity at this point (idle/full tilt?). If its idle, something broke, go to debug level via System > Logging and Profiling, and repeat to gain more insight, there isnt much to go on in the above.

The CPU activity gets pegged at 95-100% and stays there.

K, so DEBUG level logging will at least show more (I expect) about what is actually going on. repetetive log messages indicate a looping problem, perhaps due to an exception that is occurring.

If you are have 'dev' ninja skills, enabling JIRA JVM to listen for JPA socket debug connections, you could use an IDE to monitor your reindex (it may be slower!), you could add an java.lang.Exception breakpoint, and see what 'may' be breaking interally.

Lacking dev ninja skillz, a few stack traces using "jstack pid" might well point to the culprit.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,870 views 12 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot