Increase the width of custom field in JIRA 5.2.11

dhaval soni
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 19, 2013

I have added custom field through administratior >> customfields section in JIRA.

field name is bigger. so, when it appears over JIRA issue view screen then it is not viewable completely. I want to increase it's width .

Is it possible to increase field's width some where in configuration ?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 19, 2013

No, it needs code change.

Generally, if you've got a large field name, you should simplify it and move the (probably unnecessary) bits into the field description.

dhaval soni
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 19, 2013

Is it possible to make changes in WEB-INF /.. some template and which would allow to increaes filedname column widht. (basically, fields appear over Issue view screen).

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 19, 2013

Yes, that's what I mean by "code" - you need to amend the templates. I'm not sure which ones (and it may be different depending on your version of Jira, even if I could find the right ones in my version), and it's very possible that by amending them, you'll break something else.

For example, if you make the field name really wide to accomodate your unnecessarily wide name, your simple search screen won't cope, you'll run out of space on the complex search box, your shorter named fields will look oddly small, your issue navigator headings might become unusably wide, and you'll have vast amounts of white space on the rest of the screen. I don't know if any of that would happen, and I doubt I've thought of all the odd things it might do. My point is that it's potentially a nightmare to implement this, and it's probably totally unnecessary as the field name could (and should) be shorter.

dhaval soni
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 19, 2013

Thanks Nic. I have to shorter the name and update the description...

dhaval soni
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 21, 2013

@Nic

Hi Nic,

i got some other custom fields where i can't shorter it.

i just posted comments below.. can you suggest me possible template where i can look.

initially, i am applying at my local plugin developmnet jira.

so, just changing in target directory.. and executing - compile/pi but itdoes not get any effect over jira.. (just for testing changing edit-select and other labels-view.vm.. anything missing..?

jira version i refer - 5.2.11

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 21, 2013

I really don't know off the top of my head. I've not looked because shorer field names is the right answer.

However, you've probably got several templates to edit, and you can't do this in a plugin, you need to amend the core of the stuff that handles issue-view, the navigator, and everywhere else that long field names messes up the layout.

0 votes
Naren
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 19, 2013
dhaval soni
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 20, 2013

I just added new custom fields which creates same issue about label width collapse. it is not feasible here to make the field name shorter.

I went through the given link.

In my case, custom field is appearing over "view issue screen " (above the description field.)

my jira standalone version is 5.2.11. can you suggest me the template location where i have to try and see.

thanks.

Suggest an answer