Increase maximum no of threads in JIRA

Heshan Manamperi
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 24, 2012

Hi,

I have run load test for our JIRA server for 300 users for an hour. Load test successfully finished except one error logged in catalina.log. Error as follows;

May 23, 2012 9:13:04 AM org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint createWorkerThread

INFO: Maximum number of threads (150) created for connector with address null and port 8081

My JIRA system will access about 400 users in the future. So is it ok, If I increase maximum no of threads? Any suggestions please...

Regards,

HesH

5 answers

1 vote
parthiban subramaniam
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 24, 2012

Not sure why you want to load test JIRA with 300 users for an hour, but if you have to then you have to :)

Use executor and not the default connector pool, they are much better when it comes to threading in tomcat.

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/executor.html

default max threads for this kind is 200, start of with this and increase it to 250 if you are able to reproduce the same error consistently otherwise leave it to default.

Heshan Manamperi
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 24, 2012

I have run the load test for identify whether our JIRA server can handle many concurrent user requests. I have used WAPT tool for this load testing.

parthiban subramaniam
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 24, 2012

Sure, but what i said still applies, don’t go with just 1 test run, if you are able to reproduce it with consistency then change.

0 votes
parthiban subramaniam
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 24, 2012

I'm afraid that day won’t come,

These are used up as tick boxes and if you don’t tick box, you are showed the door. Some are valid and some are pretty stupid and they are like insurance L .. when all is well and good, you complain that its waste of money but when it hits the fan, all the mangers and higher up in the chain care about is the tickbox and if haven’t ticked you are not covered L

I had an instance that was very close to a million mark a tweaked tomcat but not on threading and was coping with a million hits a week.

Nic will have happy memories about all those tick boxes ;)

Still we didnt test it for 400 concurrent users :O thats way too much IHMO

0 votes
Dieter
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 24, 2012
To add something substantial: an installation of mine with 250000 issues and 10000 (about 200 concurrent) users runs smoothely with 4 GB heap and the default 150 threads
0 votes
Dieter
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 24, 2012
I'm dreaming of the day when all IT admins will unite, revolt and refuse to do load tests completely out of sense.

Really do the guys who want you to do such load tests think that all users work nonstop on Jira 8 hours a day? 20 concurrent users is already too high if you have an environment where users work interactively with their browsers. Of course if issues are created and updated automatically by some middleware the situation is different but as i understood you will have 400 human being users

Atlassian and thousands of users have already tested the performance and you can be sure that if you follow https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/JIRA+Requirements your system will run smoothly.

0 votes
Dieter
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 24, 2012
Don't misunderstand, you do your job and get paid for that. i am just a little upset because me like you are urged to do things that make no sense at all.

Suggest an answer