Incorrect index

Igor Ivanov June 16, 2017

The issue index is inconsistent with the database state. Database has (297 675) issues but the index has (297 672) issues

what is the reasons and solution? 

reindex is understood, but i wonder what the reasons of diffrent index. what i can do to minimize effect of diff index vs DB

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 16, 2017

The reasons are varied, could be a server crash, a dodgy plugin, a bug, or even just an unforseen clash with a disk write action.

The solution is a simple one -reindex the whole lot.

Minimising this discrepancy is almost certainly not worth the effort.  If it was a huge one, that built up rapdily, I'd be looking at why it was happening and trying to fix it.  But 3 issues in 300,000 is really not a worry.

Thanks fo your answer. I'll keep calm :)

The impact of this now is differences in values in filters and issue status in fact. So, users sometimes are dissatisfied and worry about these differences because they use dashboards which can mislead.    

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 16, 2017

Book time for a full re-index (not the background one). 

I suspect you'll struggle to find an error in a filter caused by this discrepancy.  Why are your users looking at the index anyway?  The way it works in the background is not relevant to them, and the discrepancy you're reporting is unlikely to actually be a problem.

Users dont look at index, they look at dashboards where these filtres reflects values on JIRA gadgets. So (for instance) user can see in gadget the status of issue is "Resolved", but the real status of this issue is "In Progress" and is clear only if user opens this issue on page.  

Re-index of JIRA helps to resolve this bug, but it'd be better to escape this situation at all.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 16, 2017

How often does this actually happen?

I ask because a broken index is something that should be very rare.  If your users are seeing this behaviour regularly and frequently (more than once every 6 months), you have something very wrong in your system and you should be fixing that.

Suggest an answer