Incorrect Results On A Query

Juan Du Toit September 21, 2014

A query incorrectly returns issues where Status = Open and Resolution = Unresolved after having been previously resolved. 

The below statement returns issues with a resolution of unresolved although it specifically should not. 

project = QM AND resolution != Unresolved AND status != Closed

Is this a bug?

2 answers

1 vote
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 21, 2014

try

project = QM AND resolution is not empty AND status != Closed

The displayed "unresolved" on your view screen is a sort of translation of an empty resolution. So this is not a Bug.

Edit: added the "not"

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 21, 2014

Ah, hang on, no, it could be an issue with your data.

Concentrate on the resolution field.  Can you go into the list of global resolutions and just check that there is NO resolution called "Unresolved" on the list? 

If there is, you have a structural problem to unpick because someone has broken your Jira.  We need to rule that out first.

Edit - apologies, I posted at the same time as Udo.  You do need to be aware of that too - your workflow should be setting the resolution via screen or post-function, and clearing it on re-open (have a look at the default workflow to see how that handles it).  So "resolution is empty" is the correct search as Udo says.

Hi Nic, I can see the option Unresolved. So you mean I have to set the Resolution to "None" instead of "Unresolved" in the post function? (Closed to Open or Reopen)

If so then Udo's query will work?

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 21, 2014

If you use the update issue field post function simply leave the new value empty (don't enter anything). That will set the resolution again to Unresolved (with empty database field). My original query will not work since it should be "is not empty". I'll update my answer accordingly

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 21, 2014

If you use the update issue field post function simply leave the new value empty (don't enter anything). That will set the resolution again to Unresolved (with empty database field). My original query will not work since it should be "is not empty". I'll update my answer accordingly

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 21, 2014

Sorry, mixed up update issue field and update issue custom field post function. Yes, set it to "None"

Hi Guys, I will make the changes and test

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 21, 2014

Ah, good, Udo is on it :-) Yes, it's "none" in the post function, that will stop your data from going wrong. However, you MUST remove that "unresolved" resolution because it is breaking your data as far as the humans are concerned. If resolution is set to anything (e.g. fixed, duplicate, unresolved, penguin, - really does not matter what the value is), then Jira sees the issue as closed. Having "unresolved" as a resolution is nonsense because the issue is, by definition, resolved because that is set on the issue.

This makes 100% sense

Suggest an answer