Incorrect Display Order for Sub-tasks on Board & Dashboard

Paul September 17, 2019

I create 7 Sub-tasks in workflow’s post-function using ScriptRunner (“Create a sub-task”). They are created and displayed in correct order in parent issue’s detail view screen.

Unfortunately, the display order is incorrect on a board and dashboard.

I’ve executed transition 3 times and each time generated Sub-tasks were displayed in different order on a board and Dashboard.

Issue display order:

1st transition order: 3, 2, 1, 7, 6, 5, 4

2nd transition order: 4, 3, 2, 1, 7, 6, 5

3rd transition order: 7, 6, 5, 1, 3, 2, 4

Board’s filter is “project = XYZ Order by Rank Asc” so as simple as it can be.

Jira version 8.3.2, ScriptRunner version 5.6.1.1

How to enforce correct display order for Sub-tasks on a board?

Thanks,

Paul

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 18, 2019

Could you explain what order you expect the sub-tasks to be in on the board?  (As it has nothing to do with transitions, I'm a little confused on why you're talking about them)

Paul September 18, 2019

Thanks Nick,

These Sub-tasks are individual actions which supposed to be executed in order, from 1st to 7th, hence it should be displayed in a Kanban column in this order. Please keep in mind on parent’s detail view issues are displayed correctly.

It’s like sending a package - first you need to get a box, open it, put something in, close it, go to a post office and then send it.

On a board and a Dashboard, the display order says I should first put something in the box before I got one.

When I create manually 7 Sub-tasks, there is no problem as they’re displayed from 1st to 7th on board/Dashboard.

As the filter uses Rank, I assume (!) that during transition’s creation, Sub-tasks’ Rank is assigned “differently” and as a result the display order is impacted.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 18, 2019

Yes, it is down to rank, the rank is not an order of process, it's a position in a list.

I can't think of a way to make this sequence appear, other than doing something very complex with scripted fields, which would then remove ranking from the board.

Paul September 18, 2019

I suspected it is a Rank problem.

Interesting that when issues are created manually, everything is fine. So is the order on parent's detail view (looks like detail view is not using rank to display Sub-tasks)

Last question: is there any possibility to manage Rank while creating an issue, e.g. get another issue's rank and then make it "rank + 1" for an issue being created?

Paul September 29, 2019

I've created a bug for ScriptRunner: 

SRJIRA-3816: https://productsupport.adaptavist.com/browse/SRJIRA-3816

Suggest an answer