Incomplete dropdown?

Lexxionofficial March 1, 2018

Hi,

Im an intern (so go easy on me please) which is currently investigating the possibilities of creating a scrumboard + burndownchart in jira. So far, i've found numerous video's which shows me how to configure this.

My issue at the moment is that most of these video's start with an act in the dropdown menu, with a button called "boards". As you can see in the link below, this man starts his configuring with this dropdown button, but it is not present in my environment. I've been looking for add-ons and such, but it is still unclear to me what I need to get that boards button in my dropdown menu.

Link to video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_l3rHw5Brg

Could someone point me in the right direction please?

Regards, Alex.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 1, 2018

Hi Alex,

which version of Jira do you have? Your own installation or cloud? 

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for your reply. We are using the cloud version of Jira atm.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 1, 2018

OK, thank you.

Creating Boards has changed in the new Jira User Interface. You have to click the magnifying glass in the left sidebar and then on "View all Boards". Or use this shortcut:

https://<your-jira>.atlassian.net/secure/ManageRapidViews.jspa

Then, click on "Create Board" in the top right corner.

Hi Thomas,

The link you provided does not work for me. (yes i've changed the your-jira part) :). When im viewing my testproject the only magnifying glass I see in the left sidebar is named: "issues" and does not really do what you are describing unfortunatly.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 1, 2018

please try this:

• create a new project:
    • click on "Projects":

image.png

• Then "Create Projects" (upper right)
    • Choose Template "Scrum" and enter a project name

• The new project should automatically have a board

I'm sorry but it does not show scrum for me :(. what im seeing is this:

https://imgur.com/a/ETL2t

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 1, 2018

I see, you don't have the Jira Software Edition licensed, only Jira Core.

With Jira Core, you can't create Sprints and Scrum Boards.

Here's an overview of the differences between the different editions:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/jira-applications-overview-764478250.html

I see! That explains a lot. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Probably going to look for a free trial of the software edition (i'll take it they have one?) and go from there.

I appreciate the time you take to help me out Thomas,

Thank you.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 1, 2018

You're welcome, Alex.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask them here.

If you think, your question is answered, please mark it as answered with the checksign. With such a marker, other user may find answered questions more easy.

Thank you

Ill keep this open for now, since I have a feeling that once i've found a trial version, there will be more questions considering this.

Cheers!

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 1, 2018

If you have new questions, please create a new post. You get much more attention, if you post a new question than if you just create a new comment to an older one.

Allrighty then! Thanks again Thomas!

Suggest an answer