Incoming mails from existing AD users are rejected in Jira 4.4.4

Troels Frederiksen June 25, 2013

We have a problem with our incoming mail setup on our locally hosted Jira installation.

Emails from anonymous (AD-unknown users) are treated fine and an issue is created. But if a user that exists in the AD sends an email, the permissions are checked in jira and rejected if they are not member of the right group. That means that completely unknown users are treated better than our internal users here.

Is it possible to let Jira create the issue as anonymous, if the user don't have the permission to create issues?

Best regards
Troels Frederiksen

Berlingskemedia

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 25, 2013

If they are known in your system and they are allowed to send emails to Jira to create tickets, why don't you just add them to a group in jira called : email-users which has create issue rights but not the global permission 'Jira Users'. In this way they can create issues in those projects but they don't count toward your license and they can't log into Jira.

Emre Toptancı _OBSS_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 27, 2015

I am in the same situation with JIRA 6.3. The problem is, some of the users that are expected to open tickets via e-mail are also users of other projects in my JIRA system, so I can not deny them login. I also can not grant them create issue permission on my project because there are other issue types in the project and they are not supposed to open tickets through JIRA. Any suggestions?

0 votes
Dennis Popov July 2, 2013

The solution apeard to be in somewhat different direction than i was digging.

The algorythm is following (if no changes were made previously to standard global permissions)

1. Create group "email-users"

2. Add all users that you would like to be able to creaete issues (in my case that was omg around 3300 users)

3. Go to project --> people (I'm on jira 4.4.4) --> add group "email-users" to project users group.

Dennis Popov

Berlingskemedia

0 votes
Dennis Popov July 2, 2013

OK I am checking this.

That menas that you have to create your own custom permissioon scheme with only one permissions - "Create issues". Where group = anyone.

But it seems like when you are associating this schema with project you can use only one permission schema. Have to investigate further.

Studying this one for now.

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/168955/how-to-associate-permission-schemes-with-user-group

0 votes
Troels Frederiksen July 1, 2013

Thank you for your answers. I will try it out and close the question if it works!

0 votes
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 25, 2013

The direct answer is no. The permission is checked and the error is thrown immediately. You might need to extend the mail handler if you want to create it anonymously.

Suggest an answer