Incoming mail no from field in description

Sasa Jovancic March 23, 2015

The bit in red do NOT work in JIRA v6.3.15. Is there some way around this problem? How can i get from which email support ticket was sent if i use default reporter? How to inform end user back when ticket is resolved?

Default Reporter

Specify the username of a default reporter, which will be used if the email address in the From: field of any received messages does not match the address associated with that of an existing JIRA user — for example, a JIRA username such as emailed-reporter 

information Note:

• This option is not available if the Create Users check box is selected.
  • Please ensure that the user specified in this field has the Create I ssues  project permission for the relevantProject (specified above) as well as the Create Comments   project permission for the other relevant projects to which this mail handler should add comments.
  • When an issue is created and this option is specified, the email message's From: field address is appended in a brief message at the end of the issue's Description field, so that the sender can be identified.

My settings looks like this:

TTL Handler
Create a new issue or add a comment to an existing issue
support@emailc.com Support Task
  • Bulk: ignore
  • CC Assignee: true
  • CC Watchers: true
  • Create Users: false
  • Default Reporter: emailsupport
  • Forward Email: forward@emailc.com
  • Notify Users: false
  • Strip Quotes: false

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 23, 2015

Mmm, it's working on the JIRA 6.3.15 I'm looking at.  So there's something odd in your setup maybe?  Can you check the log file to see if there are warnings or errors on incoming mail processing?

As for "notify the reporter", no.  The "from" address is logged in the description, not a field that can be used for email, and even if it were placed in a field, you have the problem that the person cannot log in to see the issue and hence won't be emailed (because it's a potential security leak to email people who don't have an identity)

Suggest an answer