Incoming mail handler - how to keep the original email

Mark Stocker August 18, 2013

I'm using the incoming mail handler to automatically raise new Jiras and add comments to existing ones. All works well but we have a request from one of the project teams for them to get to the original email for them to reply to the customer.

Let me explain a bit more. When someone sends and email to the configured address a new Jira is created and the original email is deleted from the mailbox. The team responsibie fot the items in that project want a way to reply with history to the person that sent in the original request. Currently with this method they need to go into the issue raised and copy & paste the issue into their own mail and send it on with comments.

Is there a way that Jira can be configured to NOT delepte the original or to leave it in the trash folder or move it to another location once it's done the job?

Or is there an alternative?

2 answers

1 vote
B Morling March 20, 2014

Hi Mark,

I had the same issue last week. The workaround I used was a mailbox rule to duplicate the all received emails to another folder called Archived. I've looked into it before/asked this question and there is no better alternative without spending money on a plugin.

Cheers,

Blake

jolyont May 19, 2023

This worked a treat for me too.

1 vote
Jason Plumhoff
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 20, 2013

Andy Brook's JEMH plugin can do this and a whole lot more. It has an option to attach the original email to the issue as a .eml file. Beyond that, the plugin has tons of other functionality that will make email handling much easier for you. We found it to be well worth the money...

Suggest an answer