Incoming email suddenly not parsed at all

Bryan Brinson January 30, 2014

For no appearant reason, one afternoon last week, our incoming email handler started parsing email incorrectly. Actually, not parsing at all. The entire raw content of the message is stored in the description. Headers and all. See screenshot.

This has happened once before, late last year, and a restart of the Jira service seemed to resolve it. I chalked it up to memory corruption or solar flares or something. This time it's not going away. The service and server have been restarted numerous times. For giggles I upgraded from 6.0.3 to 6.1.7. No joy. No smoking guns in the event logs either. Even in debug mode. I have an open issue with Atlassian, but wanted to know if anyone else has seen this before. My users are becoming restless.

You may notice this test message in the screenshot is from Office 365. We have a mixed environment. The mailbox Jira is using is internal and has been stable for years. Sending from internal account or external account doesn't seem to make any difference.

Thanks in advance!

Bryan

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 30, 2014

I'd be interested to take a look at an original message to see what the structure looks like, Im not aware of any specific problems in JEMH with office 365, if you want some free advice, mail me an attachment of the full TEXT content of an example (not pasted from JIRA, from the original email, to ensure encoding and structure is retained) - jemhtesting@gmail.com

Suggest an answer