Incoming Mails throws exception although insert certifikate

Kevin Ball October 9, 2017

Hello

I updated my JIRA on Friday to version 7.5. Unfortunately the retrieving of the mails no longer works. I get the error message: ProtocolException: No login methods supported!

Since I already knew the problem, I have the SSL certificate of the e-mailer again with portecle in the root certificates. After that, JIRA was restarted.
Nevertheless, the error message still appears

Do you still have ideas what I can test?

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 10, 2017

Since this happened immediately after an upgrade to Jira, I suspect this is happening because your Jira instance is using a new or different Java JRE/JDK location.  If that happens, then the path for your trust store certificates could be different than your previous Jira version.   By default Jira will bundle an Oracle JAVA JRE instance that it can use to run.  But it only uses this if the operating system does not currently have a %JAVA_HOME% value setup.

By setting up a %JAVA_HOME% environmental variable, you can protect yourself against these kinds of changes. 

The KB 'javax.mail.MessagingException No login methods supported' due to IMAP over SSL explains that this specific error you are seeing is indeed because your connection to you mail server is using SSL, but either Jira is not configured to use SSL/TLS, or Jira does not have the certificate for that connection in its truststore.

Given the steps you have followed so far, the only explanation I can see that would still cause this would be if the certificate has been added to the incorrect truststore.   If you can access your $JIRA_HOME/log/atlassian-jira.log file, when you restart Jira it will tell you under the section called "___ Java System Properties ________________" there will be an entry called 'java.home' that will show you a path that Jira is using for the JRE.  If this is not a path you created manually, then this is likely using the default $JIRAinstall/jre/ folder.

I'd recommend setting up the JAVA_HOME as described in the first link, then repeating the steps to add that certificate back to this new path.  From that point you can then restart Jira once more and this should resolve this problem.

Suggest an answer