Incoming Mailhandler, from Address is missing

Jochen Zink August 11, 2017

We have created successfully a incoming mail handler which creates issues by sending an e-mail to the configured address.

My problem is, that the "from" address is not added to the created issue. Becasue we don't want, that users are automatically created this information is very important. Without it, the feature is currently useless for us, because we can't reply to the reporter.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Thor
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 12, 2017

You could save the address in a customfield.

Jochen Zink August 13, 2017

Ok, sounds good. I know where to add custom fields. But I don'T find a way to get the from adress vom the mailhandler to put it into the custom field.

Can you explain how this should work?

Thor
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 14, 2017

You could try it with this:

message.getFrom()

Then you get the adress(es).

I recommend injecting the MessageUserProcessor in your constructor to get an ApplicationUser directly like this if your goal is to first search for a valid JIRA user or you want to further interact with the system if you found a user:

messageUserProcessor.getAuthorFromSender(message) 
Jochen Zink August 14, 2017

I think my question was misleading. We have not written our own mailhandler, we used the build in, from jira.

So, we don't have access to the message object.

Thor
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 14, 2017

Ok then this is another topic, I see.

So is there anything in your log-files that may indicate what is going wrong here?

We are using jira cloud. So, no log files available.

I have raised a support ticket to atlassian. They told me, that it is not possible. Only chance would be to let the mail handler create users -> which costs 7€ per received e-mail and month. So it is not an option. Or to buy a service desk license.

So, an easy technical task is not wanted for econemy reasons ;)

Thanks for the reply.

Regards

Thor
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 24, 2017

I am sorry for you that this is not possible. 

Your welcome!

Suggest an answer