Incoming Mail configuration

Praveen Balaji June 13, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Configuring JIRA to Receive Email from a POP or IMAP Mail Server

I want to add comments to JIRA via email but am unable to complete the setup. I have enabled IMAP in gmail settings. Everytime i try to Add a Pop/Imap Mail server by choosing the service provider as Custom and protocol as IMAP, i get a "SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out" error. When i choose the service provider as Google Apps Mail/Gmail IMAP, i get a "AuthenticationFailedException: [ALERT] Please log in via your web browser: https://support.google.com/mail/accounts/answer/78754 (Failure)" error on Testing the connection.

Is there any specific username/password that i need to specify to get the connection set or am i missing something to get this up and running?

1 answer

0 votes
Yogesh Mude[Jira]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 13, 2016

Hi @Praveen Balaji,

If you are using service provider as google Apps mail/gmail and you got Authentication Failed Exception that means your provided username/password was wrong.

Use right username/password and try to test connection.

Praveen Balaji June 14, 2016

Thanks Yogesh. I double checked the username and password and they are correct. The username description says ''The username used to authenticate your POP / IMAP account.'' What username/password is this?

Is it what i use to login to JIRA? Or is it my official mail id in which IMAP is enabled?

Suggest an answer