Incoming Mail SocketTimeoutException: connect timed out

Andreas Ploetzeneder April 3, 2012

Hi,

my incoming mail does not work, i always get:

Unfortunately no connection was possible. Review the errors below and rectify:

• SocketTimeoutException: connect timed out

When i click on "Test Connection"

But when i try on a "testing" tool, it works!
Server: ploetzeneder-it.com
User: web295p7
Pass: *******

https://www.wormly.com/test_pop3_mail_server

8 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Felipe Cuozzo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 13, 2012

Hey folks,

This is a heads up that this feature is now fully implemented on OnDemand and can be configured by an Administrator following the steps described here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Creating+Issues+and+Comments+from+Email

Any issues feel free to open a Support Request that one of our Support Engineers will be happy to help with this.

Best Regards,
Felipe Cuozzo
OnDemand Developer

2 votes
Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 3, 2012

Wow.

What a nice telnet session I had:

telnet mail.ploetzeneder-it.com pop3

Trying 109.237.136.6...
Connected to mail.ploetzeneder-it.com (109.237.136.6).
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK Hello there.
USER web295p7
+OK Password required.
PASS *****
+OK logged in.

I will edit the question, please *NEVER* PUT credentials in such questions. Ask your admin to change the password NOW!

1 vote
NikE
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 4, 2012

With OnDemand, setting up external imap/pop servers is a restricted function...so that is why your connection is being blocked. For more info on this, the restricted functions list is below (as well as a link to the feature request for this issue on the pop/imap entry)

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AOD/Restricted+Functions+in+Atlassian+OnDemand#RestrictedFunctionsinAtlassianOnDemand-JIRA

Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 10, 2012

Good to know. However for me it seems a very basic functionality, are the customers happy ? At least SSL connections should be allowed, IMHO.

0 votes
Domen Brezar July 24, 2018

Hey, I'm experiencing the same issue as @Smita Kelkar. Could someone please help us out? Highly appreciated! 

Felipe Cuozzo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 24, 2018

See my reply above, Domen. I hope this helps with your troubleshooting.

0 votes
Smita Kelkar July 7, 2018

I am doing mail configuration on a local server instance of JIRA and getting same error. How this could be solved?

Felipe Cuozzo
Atlassian Team
July 24, 2018

Hi Smita,

Make sure you follow the steps described here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver073/configuring-jira-applications-to-receive-email-from-a-pop-or-imap-mail-server-861253787.html

The error message "SocketTimeoutException: connect timed out" means that your Jira Server instance cannot connect to the provided DNS name or IP address, so you need to make sure:

1. that those are correct

2. you are using the correct port where your POP3/IMAP service

3. There are no Network and/or Firewall restrictions limiting the connection between the two servers

If you do have a terminal session on the server that Jira is running you can try connecting using telnet to verify that basic connectivity can be established:

$ telnet [server-dns-name|ip-address] [pop3|imap|pop3s|imaps|port-number]

Please note that the Port will vary depending on how the service is configured to accept non-encrypted or encrypted connections, please speak with your local Mail Server Administrator for those details as there might be differences depending on your local environment.

If you are still having trouble, please reach out to our Support Engineers and they will be more than happy to help you out:

https://support.atlassian.com

0 votes
Srini Chimata NNA April 14, 2015

I am running in to the same error, when I am trying to add our local POP mail server  in the JIRA Cloud instance.

Should it be fixed from our local IT team side or from the Atalssian Cloud side?

Thanks,
Srini 

0 votes
Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 3, 2012

Obviously, your connection works fine (because I just tried it, as explained).

Make sure you try with 109.237.136.6 (maybe there's a problem on resolver on your host) and please complete the config, use 110 for the port (this is what I tested, pop3)

Hi,

first: thx for checking that....but still not working...

Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 3, 2012

It's a network connectivity issue, ask the support; you will need to diagnose that from the host

0 votes

Hi,
i am admin, and "password" is just temporary for this question...

but it does not work...

Temporary password is: Wofasu26 if somebody wants to test

Suggest an answer