Incoming Mail Handler

Anton Thorn February 14, 2013

When setting up a mail handler, if I leave the "Folder Name" field blank, so that JIRA will pull mail out of my Inbox, the Test Run works fine.

If I change the "Folder Name" field to the name of a folder which already existed before today, like "Deleted Items", the Test Run works fine.

If I change the Incoming Mail MAPI server settings to a different user who already had a folder named "SRTDev"on our Exchange server (before today) and change the "Folder Name" field to "SRTDev", the Test Run works fine.

If I connect to my email account and change the "Folder Name" field to the name of a folder which I just created today, the Test Run does not work. I get the following error:

" Messaging Exception in service 'com.atlassian.jira.service.services.mail.MailFetcherService$MessageProviderImpl' when getting mail: SRTDev not found: SRTDev not found "

Do I just need to wait till tomorrow? Is this happening because I just added this folder and something hasn't synced with the Exchange server yet?

8 answers

1 accepted

8 votes
Answer accepted
Anton Thorn February 18, 2013

My folder was a sub-folder of my Inbox, so not only did I need a slash in the Folder entry, but Inbox had to be all uppercase, like so: INBOX/SRTDev

In addition, IMAP doesn't like slashes (/) within mailbox folder names, so JIRA will not be able to retrieve mail from a folder named "SRT/LPR".

Daniel Gomez December 27, 2018

had same issue, i.e.:

Inbox/SRTDev

I have another folder that looks like its outside of the inbox that didnt require anything for the folder name

Tomáš Vrabec March 12, 2019

Thanks, had a very same issue! 

Luca Andreatta
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 21, 2021

I had an IMAP Outlook mailbox and the only way to make it work with Jira Mail Handler was specifying a folder was to create this folder in the root, not inside Inbox or any other folder, and to use only uppercase characters without numbers or space or others strange characters.

2 votes
Abel Braaksma _admin_ June 3, 2013

I just had the same issue. In stead of using slashes, use a dot. I.e.:

INBOX.SRTDev
INBOX.Sub.Subfolder

Then it suddenly works. Would be nice if Atlassian would add it to their guide: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Creating+Issues+and+Comments+from+Email

Anton Thorn June 3, 2013

Abel, do you mean that one may have a slash (/) in a folder name if one is using dots (.) in the path?

1 vote
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 15, 2013

May be you should ask you Exchange administrators.

How about deleting and recreating the mail handler in JIRA. Just suspecting if there is some cache which holds the IMAP folder structure which is never reloaded once a handler is created.

RBS July 2, 2014

Thank you, now it works!!!

Like Peter Adrial likes this
0 votes
Dan August 17, 2020

i cant get this to work,

I've tried;

just the Folder Name

INBOX.Folder Name

INBOX/Folder Name

INBOX\Folder Name

Inbox.Folder Name

Inbox/Folder Name

Inbox\Folder Name

Tried all the combos above and renaming it to just FolderName

Tomáš Vrabec August 17, 2020

What is your mail server structure look like? Is it IMAP? spaces wont work. Try to create new folder called just the Folder and go with INBOX/folder (case sensitive)

0 votes
Felipe Carasso January 13, 2020

In my case, even if my email clients showed my folder in the root, I had to prefix them with 'INBOX.' as suggested by the debug logs. So my folder 'abcd' is specified as 'INBOX.abcd'

0 votes
Sysret Kastrati September 24, 2013

it worked on my side without entering the "INBOX" just the path where the emails are

Mohini P May 21, 2014

is spcifying folder option not available in JIRA on-demand version?

0 votes
Abel Braaksma _admin_ June 4, 2013

I mean that if you want to specify a subfolder, the typical way would be to use a slash. However, when configuring the mail handler in Atlassian Jira, you should use a dot instead. So, if your subfolder is called JiraMail, directly under the Inbox root, you should specify it as INBOX.JiraMail inside the mail handler (not INBOX/JiraMail or INBOX\JiraMail or just JiraMail).

If you have a deeper nested structure in your IMAP mail system, say Bugs, Features under the folder JiraMail, you can use INBOX.JiraMail.Bugs and INBOX.JiraMail.Features.

Anton Thorn June 4, 2013

Okay. Thanks, Abel. :)

0 votes
Anton Thorn February 18, 2013

Thanks, Renjith, but apparently I just needed to give it a day or two for my new Outlook folder to appear on the Exchange server. I'm not sure how long it took, but I was out of the office for 3 days.

It's working now. :)

Suggest an answer